How to revive a dead fish. (shipping D.O.A.)

beantickler

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
~Pittsburgh~
bl00;2600782; said:
There's alot of arguing here and its great to see so many people so impassioned about helping fish. I think alot of people like Danger, Sponge, and Niblit are adding some great points and experiences to Bean's thread.

I'd also like to contribute a thought that I've been pondering while following this thread. The ideas of brain damage and normality are being tossed around alot, but it is often not taken into account how little oxygen the brain of a fish uses compared to the brain of a human. Its like comparing the gas comsumption of a Hummer to Vespa. Logically, wouldn't this imply that a fish can survive for a significantly longer amount of time with diminished oxygen absorbtion?

That said, this is a great thread and is an amazing thread to discuss the preservation of the life of fish that might not otherwise have survived.
Thanks for the contribution... Good points in your post unlike most others!
I'm done commenting in this thread. I said what I had to say so you kids can argue amongst yourselves in here on your own... Enjoy and again I hope this thread helps some people out! GLGB.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
very interesting. will have to try on a fish sometime

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't say "bring it back form the dead" lol, but I have brought near frozen fish back from looking like death...

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I have used a similar method on a shark, with good results. It wasn't DOA, but it was found laying on the bottom of the tank on the day it was caught.

After ten minutes of holding a bonnethead shark (Sphyrna tiburo) against a powerhead, we remembered that sharks not only swim to flush water over their gills, but also to pump blood through the body. Ten more minutes in front of the powerhead while moving the tail side-to-side caused it to revive completely!

haynboy8

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hawaii
ive tried this before. found my baby aro outside of my tank. dont know for how long. put him back in the tank and held him upright against the flow from my filter. he started to breathe but couldnt swim or anything. I gave up after like 20 min and woke up the next morning and he was dead.

I guess i should of tried longer. I thought he had brain damage so i gave up.

raymondk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
southern california
hey thats the same method i use when fishing i hold it gently and move back and forth and let the waves go in its gills works the best with trout and largemouth bass

Scubarod

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Stoon
I also tried that when my wild caught Thread fins bit it while i was bringing it home. i tried for 45 mins and i thought it was ok but during the night he died.

makoshoemaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2010
San Francisco
CPR is needed to get oxygen to the main vitals (brain and heart). But in cold water the body shuts down rather than abruptly stops. In the medical field it is actually pretty common to revive cold water drowning victims even after they have been far gone for hours, because their body slowed down everything to a stop rather than just suffocating the body of O2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store