How to revive a dead fish. (shipping D.O.A.)

jmotion

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2008
Bay Area / Sac
Redchamp;2517207; said:
I revived my Pacu when it jumped out of my tank. But i just dunked him in the water a few times and put the return from my canister filter in its mouth.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190200

I would have quit way before 3 hrs..... That is super crazy
Yeah 3 hours is a bit long. Was this something you read about previously? Or was this something you tried out of despair and sadness? I've heard of running water through the gills to aid with breathing. Grats on bringing the FH back to life.

Au Duong Phong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2006
S. cali
I would try this if it ever happens to me. Thanks for sharing. I recently lost one of the most beautiful fish I've ever had. Too bad it never even reached me. It was breathing at the transhipper then died after.. It hurts very much to know that he had a chance..

MoFish78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2008
Bay Area CaliFornia
jbnebres;2515249; said:
i use mouth to mouth resuscitation on my fish..... and they aren't even dying....:ROFL:
LOL :ROFL: I do mouth to mouth on my FH when I'm bored too...

Thanks for the sticky...very informative.

My wife saved my afr cichlids a few months ago when my fish started gaspin for air after putting too much stress coat...the fish were layin on the bottom almost dead and she picked them up in the net and put them right over the air bubbles in the tank. they're now doin just fine.

although one looks like he got some brain damage lol...its become more aggressive but still swims perfectly fine...no signs of weakness on either side :D

richman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2004
toronto
hey thats great. glad to see the effort that you put in to save your fish.
the bastards at the hospital wont put that much effort into saving a human.
good for you.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
I am glad i read this thread this word made me very happy and made my eyes water.----------a defrigrelator--------------I am now going to start unthawing my long lost payara and try to bring them back. I have everything ready. A hospital tank, a spare car battery, a air pump, some compressed oxygen, some air line tubing, latex gloves and mask. ----------come on baby breath.

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
wait so the gills werent moving at all when u got it? i got a doa fish once and im absolutely sure the gills werent moving. and i hesitated to open it cuz i wasnt sure on the doa return policy of the vendor.... x____x

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
beantickler;2516128; said:
balton777;2516977; said:
Because he said it was DOA. To me that means it was not breathing.

Not breathing = No oxygen to the brain.
In or out of water :D

beantickler

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
~Pittsburgh~
When I got the fish it had zero gill movement. The fish was curved and floating on its side. There was ice in the bag. The first thing I did to be honest was to yell and scream a little bit. I even took a plastic hanger that was beside me, and smashed it on the floor. I was very upset. After I regrouped, these were the methods I used. Through the whole process I was actually talking to the guys on FHCRAZE and telling them all the things I was trying and what was going on. I did get the camera ready to take pictures but never did. I got so involved in trying to save this fish. 3 hours honestly felt like 3 minutes.

This was no ordinary day for me though. In the morning I had to have my dog Becca put to sleep.(pics in my albums) I was already having a terrible day and I was just determined to not let it get worse!

Thanks for all the comments whether they were + or - or just down right funny.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store