how to separate fish

Nate Dogg

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
Louisville
i will be getting a 125 or bigger tank soon to grow out some of my fish. I will need to separate some of the fish. I know you can use egg crate which is what i intend on doing. I was wondering how do you keep it from scratching the the glass.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
You could maybe cable tie some suction cups to the egg crate and stick it to the tank walls...

Or if the fish arent very strong, use some rocks to hold the divider in place...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Beave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
new jersey
I use a piece of plexi from home depot,works wellView attachment 744554
Leave it a bit short at top for water movement,and use a piece thats wider than the tank,place in and it will be tight,these guys would ram it and it holds

I use the same i also drill a sh*t load of holes in the middle so water can pass threw and i put a filter on both sides

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Here's the separator I made for my 125G. There is about 1/4" gap around the sides, so it makes no contact with the glass.

dizcus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
PRISON
thats pretty smart is that pvc as legs? lol i love that idea!!! gonna use it when my L134 lays her eggs.
can you tell me what size pvc are those and connection.. thanks

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
thats pretty smart is that pvc as legs? lol i love that idea!!! gonna use it when my L134 lays her eggs.
can you tell me what size pvc are those and connection.. thanks
They are 1" OD PVC tubes. Before I glued the end caps on I filled the tubes with sand (tapping along the tubes to pack in as much sand as possible). The divider is very heavy, and even without gravel over the legs, barely moves when large fish are charging into it (something my Titanium Flowerhorn does often).

Here is a close up of one I made for a 75G back in 2009.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store