how to sex baby bristle nose pleco

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
i want to try breeding some bristle nose plecos. im getting 2 free plecos for free and im paying for the third one. the issue is that they are still babies. can they be sexed at this age. maybe by looking at growth rate?
thx in advance lads im a noob when it comes to plecos

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i want to try breeding some bristle nose plecos. im getting 2 free plecos for free and im paying for the third one. the issue is that they are still babies. can they be sexed at this age. maybe by looking at growth rate?
thx in advance lads im a noob when it comes to plecos
Niki_up Niki_up

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
When getting babies it’s nearly impossible to tell the sex until they are 2-3 inches big. Fortunately Bn are quite common and getting a sexed one isn’t too difficult.

you could try getting a picture of the babies top view, sometimes males will show a thicker head when young and sometimes not. It can vary from all the different growing conditions. I once had a few batches that were very heavy in females as some people reported backto me asking what the hell and how they ended up with all females when they took 5-8fish each. I still have no answer for them lol

it will always be a gamble with fry

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
When getting babies it’s nearly impossible to tell the sex until they are 2-3 inches big. Fortunately Bn are quite common and getting a sexed one isn’t too difficult.

you could try getting a picture of the babies top view, sometimes males will show a thicker head when young and sometimes not. It can vary from all the different growing conditions. I once had a few batches that were very heavy in females as some people reported backto me asking what the hell and how they ended up with all females when they took 5-8fish each. I still have no answer for them lol

it will always be a gamble with fry
Ok thx. I'll try it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store