How to solve my algae problem

jason30809

Feeder Fish
May 23, 2024
I have a 40 gallon breeder with a 330gph HOB, a 100w aqueon heater, a Hygger advanced LED on 12hr cycle and 7 glow fish tetras. I have also been using this tank to propagate some Vallisneria and java fern but my goal is to get enough vall offshoots to make a fully planted rock and sand aquascape then move the tetras to another tank in exchange for some smaller African cichlids. My water is very very soft and ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at zero. Water temp is about 76.5. I have been fighting this problem for months with manual removal and closely watching water parameters but it immediatly comes back. Its starting to wear me down but I want this problem solved before I move forward on the changes for the cichlids. If I leave it for a week it will have the big green patches on the sand that you see in the pictures and the hair algae growing everywhere including off the side of the tank glass. I assume if it gets too thick it will begin to compete for and block sunlight from getting to the leaves of the vall and Anubis. The hair algae spreads far faster and is far harder to remove that the stuff in the sand but I would like them both gone. Is there anything I can do aside from reducing the lighting? Is there any other water parameters I should check? Could it be a lack of CO2? I should also mention that I am currently not using any aeration or circulation aside from what comes from the HOB filter. I also forgot to mention that this is my first attempt at a planted aquarium so I would appreciate any info you think would help me in this endeavor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your time. By the way, I cleaned the glass right before I took these pictures so that's why there is so much stuff in the water.20240523_124751.jpg20240523_124746.jpg20240523_124736.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 40 gallon breeder with a 330gph HOB, a 100w aqueon heater, a Hygger advanced LED on 12hr cycle and 7 glow fish tetras. I have also been using this tank to propagate some Vallisneria and java fern but my goal is to get enough vall offshoots to make a fully planted rock and sand aquascape then move the tetras to another tank in exchange for some smaller African cichlids. My water is very very soft and ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at zero. Water temp is about 76.5. I have been fighting this problem for months with manual removal and closely watching water parameters but it immediatly comes back. Its starting to wear me down but I want this problem solved before I move forward on the changes for the cichlids. If I leave it for a week it will have the big green patches on the sand that you see in the pictures and the hair algae growing everywhere including off the side of the tank glass. I assume if it gets too thick it will begin to compete for and block sunlight from getting to the leaves of the vall and Anubis. The hair algae spreads far faster and is far harder to remove that the stuff in the sand but I would like them both gone. Is there anything I can do aside from reducing the lighting? Is there any other water parameters I should check? Could it be a lack of CO2? I should also mention that I am currently not using any aeration or circulation aside from what comes from the HOB filter. I also forgot to mention that this is my first attempt at a planted aquarium so I would appreciate any info you think would help me in this endeavor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your time. By the way, I cleaned the glass right before I took these pictures so that's why there is so much stuff in the water.View attachment 1542905View attachment 1542906View attachment 1542907
Welcome aboard

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If you are trying to propagate val then I find the best method to be very fine gravel to a 2” depth with a thin layer of garden clay or similar underneath (although you can do this without with clay root tabs) and then when you do 2weekly water change you only very lightly vac the gravel. Lighting doesn’t need to be on more than 7-8 hrs and a 1 hr period off in the middle is often beneficial but not necessary. When the shoots start to form don’t be in too much of a rush to remove them as the daisy chain around the tank. As they get a few chains in it’s good to remove them by removing the original plant first as they will appreciate the refresh.
I did achieve similar with sand but a 1.5 to 2” depth can become quite compact and unless they are growing well you can get dead areas so here you need to disturb the sand more or have a few fish that will dig a little like hoplo cats.
with 12 hr lighting you will never be free of algae without a really densely planted tank.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
As mentioned above, without a densely planted tank, there are lots of nutrients available for algae to take over. May I suggest some floating plants like frog bits or dwarf water lettuce that can help absorb much of the excess nutrients. More frequent water changes will help as well…the first week of a newly planted tank, I do 30% water changes daily.

Floaters grow rapidly, I contain them in one area using 2 suction cups and fishing line so they do not deprive the plants below of light and to keep them away from the protein skimmer.
1717832230346.jpeg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
You have 2 options I'd look into:
Easy Option:
Embrace it and slowly minimize it over time.
A. Reduce lights to <6hrs/day until it starts to subside OR 2 x 4hr photoperiods with a 2-3 hr break in between.
B. Increase frequency/volume, or both, of water changes
C. Add a lot more plants. Float cabomba, hornwort or other easy stems. Add floating plants.
D. You appear to Cynobacteria, increase flow in tank or redirect it.
E. Add a cleaning crew slowly over time. A few shrimp, a bristlenose pleco.
F. Gravel Vac more to remove trapped crapped.

Harder option:
Immediate fix.
A. Do water tests and find out which aspects are causing algae issues.
B. ID algae types and research causes and solutions. Many good sites.
C. Add algicide to tank. Reset tank address the aspects casing algae and keep them under control.
D. Or, in lieu of algicide, cover the tank in dark blankets, covers or black trash bags so no light gets in for at least 3 days, even up top five. Keep lights off and don't feed.
E. After that clean tank thoroughly, wiping down leaves, vaccuming, cleaning filters and carefully monitor tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store