how well do lugubris pikes get along with leporinus?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
It will fight for dominance of the whole tank. Other cichlids allow certain space, and never cross an imaginary line. I had a jag that was top boss, but it rarely crossed the halfway mark of the 8 foot tank, even though the other fish weren't that aggressive. The pike on the other hand, swam across the full length of the tank, beating any fish that wouldn't back down. As long as the other fish back down, it won't receive major injuries from the pike.
if my pike is this aggressive i shouldnt have to worry about the leporinus bullying him do i?

Reactions: Deadeye

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
if my pike is this aggressive i shouldnt have to worry about the leporinus bullying him do i?
If you get a fasciatus, I don't think it will be able to bully the pike in the long run, but it doesn't mean it won't take pot shots at the pike's fins. If you really want a fasciatus, then try it. I'm more inclined to go with something like nijsseni

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Fasciatus don’t know to back down either. They are willing to split a tank, but when they hate something, they don’t stop until it is injured or dead.
A smaller species would be less likely to cause a problem.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
i would enjoy nijensseni just as much i just figured they wouldnt be very safe from the pike. to what size would i have to growout to the leporinus nijensseni before adding it to the pike’s tank? i probably wouldnt be able to buy them bigger than 1-3” and the pike is 5” currently.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Probably 3-4 inches is best depending on the pikes size at that point. I would try to get the leporinus as big as possible though just to be safe.

Reactions: djsaltynuts

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
how do anostomus ternetzi behave?

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
here's an idea for you... dwarf pikes. All the attitude of a big pike, but in a smaller size. If you are keeping them in a 75 gallon , a small group of 1-3 inch L. nijsseni would be fine with a dwarf pike. until you need to move the Leps to bigger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store