HR 669 : CONGRESSIONAL HEARING BANNING NONNATIVE SPECIES APRIL 23, 2009 ACTION NEEDED

jartist15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
canada
J double R;2770824; said:
you know, if people just kept fish in their tanks, and were responsible fishkeepers, there would be no need for things like this.

don't get mad at your politicians for wanting to preserve the natural beauty that is the waterways of the US... blame your idiot neighbor that flushed that gar down the toilet... or perhaps your stupid friend that turned the pacu loose in the local river because it got too big.

we brought this on ourselves. you wanna do something about it? show the rest of the country that we can be responsible with our pets. crying about it on the internet won't do any good.
This is a true oooo rraaa american this isn't about the letting your fish go, one fish doesn't reproduce on its own and its pretty damn hard to keep a fish alive in your tank, now letting it go in a river, you'll probably kill it, how many things have been brought in by the government that have screwed them over, just as stated before, zebra muscles weren't brought in by a hobbiest.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
Ok, read all the posts. I do have to say, this is a combination of inadvertent and ignorant introduction. I. E. The spiders that stow away on bananas, etc. And, our idiot neighbors dumping fish into our waterways and snakes into the everglades. I live in South FL. I've seen extensive evidence of what an idiot releasing a fish into the lake in their neighborhood can do. In Palm Beach, there's a lake with a THRIVING clown knife population. In Miami, there's jaguar cichlids and other SA cichlids galore. I caught an 18 inch pacu in my friends lake, and have seen a few more in there. For crying out loud we have pythons eating gators. :nilly: I'm not for the bill, or anything like that, but the general american population is a bunch of morons. It's not we resposible fish/animal keepers, it's the ones that don't know what the heck they're doing screwing it up for us. Maybe they should ban beginners from buying these harmful exotics? Or come up with a better solution than banning them all together from everyone. There's gotta be a better way.:irked::swear::WTF:

I'll get off my soap box.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
jartist15;2774034; said:
This is a true oooo rraaa american this isn't about the letting your fish go, one fish doesn't reproduce on its own and its pretty damn hard to keep a fish alive in your tank, now letting it go in a river, you'll probably kill it, how many things have been brought in by the government that have screwed them over, just as stated before, zebra muscles weren't brought in by a hobbiest.
But you know, if two idiots let their fish go, then there would be the chance of reproduction now wouldn't there?:D As for killing it by letting it go, not here in Florida my friend, the water down here is warm and comfy for most exotic species.

SOKO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
NYC
Why is the government focusing on pets when they have more important things to do? Maybe they forgot about banks, constructions, factories, giving people work.

Yeh, a new era of change. Is it for the worst?

Greenspot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 24, 2008
Australia
Another way to look at it would be to gain more of an apprecation for your own native fish, I live in australia where fish impots are pretty tight. going fishing has given me a true appreciation for our native fish, There is no way in the world if i had a massive tank would i fill it with those arowanas. Give me a grunter or mangrove jack or flathead anyday!

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
---XR---;2769974; said:
for a government leader that announced his primary action for the U.S economy is to support peoples jobs and keep 4 million people in work, than this seems like a step backwards. There a decent number of people who sell and breed these animals to make a living, great idea to take that away. :footinmou:shakehead:headshake:wall::lock:

back on the subject, any fish that is already listed as an invasive species should be exempt. what's the use of stopping the importation of oscars, jds, rds, jags.... when they already have substantial, reproducing populations in south florida? same goes for boas and pythons. if you can go out in the wild and catch one, you should be able to buy one in a pet store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store