HR 669 : CONGRESSIONAL HEARING BANNING NONNATIVE SPECIES APRIL 23, 2009 ACTION NEEDED

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
You would think they have better things to do. I'll have read further and find out exactly what powers they want the federal government to have and what their goal is before I make any prejudments on the efficacy and effectiveness of the bill and the detriment to the hobby, but it doesn't sound good.

Bentho

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
St. Augustine FL.
H.R.669
Title: To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species that negatively impact the economy, environment, or other animal species' or human health, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Bordallo, Madeleine Z. [GU] (introduced 1/26/2009) Cosponsors (12)
Latest Major Action: 1/26/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources.
SUMMARY AS OF:
1/26/2009--Introduced.

Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act - Requires the Secretary of the Interior to promulgate regulations establishing a process for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation into the United States, other than those included in a list of approved species issued under this Act. Sets forth factors that must be considered, including the identity of the organism to the species level, the native range of the species, whether the species has caused harm to the economy, the environment, or other animal species or human health in similar ecosystems, and the likelihood of establishment or spread of the species in the United States.
Provides procedures for issuance and expansion of a list of nonnative wildlife species approved for importation and a list of nonnative wildlife species that are prohibited.
Establishes prohibitions on: (1) importation or transportation between states of nonnative species that are not included in the list of approved species; (2) permit violations; and (3) possession, purchase, sale, barter, release, or breeding of such species.
Exempts from such prohibitions actions by law enforcement personnel to enforce this Act or by federal or state officials to prevent the introduction or establishment of nonnative wildlife species. Declares that nothing in this act restricts the importation or transportation between states of such species by a federal agency for its own use if the species remains in its possession. Authorizes the Secretary to issue permits authorizing otherwise prohibited importation for scientific research, for medical, accredited zoological or aquarium display purposes, or for educational purposes that are specifically reviewed, approved, and verified by the Secretary if the Secretary finds that there has been a proper showing by the permittee of responsibility for the specimen and continued protection of the public interest and health.
Allows the imposition of fees on persons who submit a proposal to include a species in either of the lists to recover the costs of assessing risks of nonnative wildlife species. Establishes a Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Fund into which such fees and fines for violations will be deposited.
Redesignates the Invasive Species Council established by Executive Order 13112 as the National Invasive Species Council.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Wow just another thing to try and control people.... Freedom is on its way to an end. Buy your fish now before you cant!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZaireBlue.com

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
New Jersey
At first I did not think fish would be affected, but some others have told me otherwise. I did not mention this until now because I wanted to be sure, and now I am.

The key is to find out what fishes will be on the "approved" list. I have also been told that some South American countries, such as Brazil, are pushing for this as well...that way there will be less of their natives exported here. I think Suriname is also on board, and for those that know....Suriname is very difficult to get fish out of. Herps yes, fish...very hard.

fatcat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2008
SoCal
krichardson;2767398; said:
Hack politicians,cant help save the country from financial collapse so they make a name for themselves by attacking the pet industry.What will they go after next,imported foods?
yep

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
In my opinion, there is too much money in this industry for this to be passed. Think about all the huge chains of pet stores that this would affect.

stevenrox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
I AM LEGEND!
Bentho;2767551; said:
H.R.669
Title: To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species that negatively impact the economy, environment, or other animal species' or human health, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Bordallo, Madeleine Z. [GU] (introduced 1/26/2009) Cosponsors (12)
Latest Major Action: 1/26/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources.
SUMMARY AS OF:
1/26/2009--Introduced.

Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act - Requires the Secretary of the Interior to promulgate regulations establishing a process for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation into the United States, other than those included in a list of approved species issued under this Act. Sets forth factors that must be considered, including the identity of the organism to the species level, the native range of the species, whether the species has caused harm to the economy, the environment, or other animal species or human health in similar ecosystems, and the likelihood of establishment or spread of the species in the United States.
Provides procedures for issuance and expansion of a list of nonnative wildlife species approved for importation and a list of nonnative wildlife species that are prohibited.
Establishes prohibitions on: (1) importation or transportation between states of nonnative species that are not included in the list of approved species; (2) permit violations; and (3) possession, purchase, sale, barter, release, or breeding of such species.
Exempts from such prohibitions actions by law enforcement personnel to enforce this Act or by federal or state officials to prevent the introduction or establishment of nonnative wildlife species. Declares that nothing in this act restricts the importation or transportation between states of such species by a federal agency for its own use if the species remains in its possession. Authorizes the Secretary to issue permits authorizing otherwise prohibited importation for scientific research, for medical, accredited zoological or aquarium display purposes, or for educational purposes that are specifically reviewed, approved, and verified by the Secretary if the Secretary finds that there has been a proper showing by the permittee of responsibility for the specimen and continued protection of the public interest and health.
Allows the imposition of fees on persons who submit a proposal to include a species in either of the lists to recover the costs of assessing risks of nonnative wildlife species. Establishes a Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Fund into which such fees and fines for violations will be deposited.
Redesignates the Invasive Species Council established by Executive Order 13112 as the National Invasive Species Council.
think this would pass? because im 13 i still have my whole life o f fish keeping ahead of me!!!!

HarlanAshmore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne Ausralia
welcome to australia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store