Huge Blue Tilapia? caught in Florida (Palm City)

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
My son caught this guy over spring break (w/ cast net). He was 17 inches and 4 pounds (very thick fish) - I googles and it appears the Florida record is 21 inches and just shy of 10 pounds. We brought back a 5 incher that is in the quarantine tank - will be interesting to see the temperament. Judging by the size of their beds, they cover a large territory. These are relatively new to the area there (golf course ponds). Mayans and black acaras have been there for a while. Tilapia 2 4-10-2017.jpg Tilapia 1 4-10-2017.jpg

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks - we let this guy go, and brought his son or daughter home. It is on the golf course, so they probably wouldn't appreciate a big fish rotting in the bushes - although that is exactly what I did w/ the large plecos I caught back a few years ago. I think they have a law w/ snakeheads that they legally can't be released. I use small ones (particularly the myans) for bait and would destroy any new/not fully established native. Destroying the blue talapia or a myan would be a waste - they are fully established for sure.

5 Spot Junkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2016
Federal Way, WA
m.facebook.com
My son caught this guy over spring break (w/ cast net). He was 17 inches and 4 pounds (very thick fish) - I googles and it appears the Florida record is 21 inches and just shy of 10 pounds. We brought back a 5 incher that is in the quarantine tank - will be interesting to see the temperament. Judging by the size of their beds, they cover a large territory. These are relatively new to the area there (golf course ponds). Mayans and black acaras have been there for a while. View attachment 1245262 View attachment 1245263
Typically WC fish or fish in a will be more territorial than a tank raised. Being used to a vast area, when they get in tanks they require more room.

Keep us updated

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, the fish had to grow. It was pretty interesting, grew extremely fast, and took care of any algae in the tank - even left little poos, like I had a pleco in the tank. But it proved to be a bully to any and all fish that it could bully (even aggressive CA cichlids). And I mean really hit - not just territorial. And this was in a 300. I would think a really big one could be a serious menace.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
I thought keeping tilapia in an aquarium was illegal ( FL residents )

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Isnt this fish good to eat? That big boy would have been lunch!

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
That's a nice catch! Where I live there are 3 ponds that are full of tilapia, and I mean packed! Mozambique,blue,red and Nile. Once in a while you'd see some huge ones about 15"+.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store