Humpback Golden Line Barbel?!

Winterose

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I did not know where to post this under, so I decided to put under general aquaria. If it is wrong, please advise, thanks!

Back on topic.. so I was surfing on the internet and stumbled across an awesome looking species...they almost look somewhat similar to the duckbilled knifefishes in terms of the face, but on the body of a cyprinidae..

Lady's and gents.. please welcome the Humpback Golden Line Barbel (Sinocyclocheilus cyphotergous)!

From what I have read, they are blind cave dwelling fish that are endemic to the cave streams of Guizhou, China. Not much are known about them, but research is currently funded and underway by National Geographic. As a genus, they are endemic to China, and most.of it's species live in or around caves. I have attached some photos for reference via Google.

Really awesome looking fish.. hopefully one day, these would be available for the hobby. Although, there has been some, of another species, for sale? in a fish store (via YouTube)

You can search 'Sinocyclocheilus Furcodorsalis subterranean Chinese blind cave fish at fish shop'. Don't know how to link :/

Hope you guys find it interesting!

Screenshot_20181015-115958__01.jpg Screenshot_20181015-123920__01.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Wow....
There are so many things going on that I don't even think I could describe it and give it the credit it deserves. I truly don't think I can even put it into words how I feel about this fish. There's something majestic about it. The way the body flows and the color of the skin are simply beautiful.
If this fish is ever for sale I WILL get it.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Body shape also reminds of a razorback chub, there are a lot of cool obscure fish out there such as:
Torrent fish/waterfall fish
Cuban cave knifefish
Cave fire/spiny eel
Longclaw cave crabs

Cave life in general is pretty awesome, many cave adapted creatures may be capable of living hundreds of years.

Reactions: Winterose

Winterose

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 good reference on the chub, looks so similar haha

Good list you got there :p .. obscure fish the best next thing :D. Really hope we get more of these fish available in our lfs in the near future!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 good reference on the chub, looks so similar haha

Good list you got there :p .. obscure fish the best next thing :D. Really hope we get more of these fish available in our lfs in the near future!
Definitely ! Weird is good!

Reactions: Winterose

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Here's a cool article with lot's of pics by vitaly vitaly

https://coolgobyfish.blogspot.com/2017/01/largest-cave-fish-sinocylocheilus.html

Also I just found out the predatoryfishkeepers forum is gone they had all kinds of rare fish discussions of stuff I've never heard of anywhere else. I can't get it to load but amiidae.com had all kinds of amazing pictures. Crazy stuff like this bearded worm goby.

bearded worm goby.jpg

Last edited:

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Who else thinks that this fish will end up being sold by Wes in the future?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store