humpback puffer question t. palembangensis

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
I just picked up a trio of these last week and was wondering if anyone has kept them. They seem pretty tolerant of each other. I decided to quarantine 2 together and there has been no aggression so far. In fact, they barely move. I read that they are ambush predators and are tolerant of their own kind. I have been trying to breed some species of target puffer for a long time, but mostly they just fight. I'm hoping these could co-exist long enough (in a good sized tank where there are visual barriers) to maybe spawn.
Also they are not aggressive feeders, which worries me a little even though they appear to be very healthy,

7DBC8E57-A814-4622-B365-51778E219DFF.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They have been kept successfully in groups and some not. So if they are getting along then great. They are not as active as other puffers but still interesting. They are more of a lurking puffer. Cool puffer nonetheless!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That's not a humpback thats a suvatti.

You can if you can find a female. Usually you put a group together in a bigger tank and hope for the best.
Think ur right.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yup, P PYRU is correct, you got a T.Suvatti not T.Palembang, although to be fair both are very very similar in behaviour etc, so much so that some people mix the two species in the same tank (although not recommended)...

As for feeding, yes these guys are lurkers, they will most likely act as rocks till feeding time, in which case they may or may not react much to food, especially at the beginning when settling in...

If you have a large enough tank, you can try housing a few and see if they ever pair off, thats probably the only sure fire way to sex them...

Any other questions just ask ;)

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Its a crap shoot. Look up suvatti breeding. There's a guy with the handle rocker that's bred them successfully and wrote a detailed article on it.

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
I had a suvatti some years back and it behaved differently (ie very aggressive).
At first, I also thought they were suvatti, but they are very shy and inactive. They perch on rocks and just sit there... I have 2 of 3 together and it seems copacetic so far. They are even more like a pet rock than my T. miurus is..

Reactions: Fat Homer

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I had a suvatti some years back and it behaved differently (ie very aggressive).
At first, I also thought they were suvatti, but they are very shy and inactive. They perch on rocks and just sit there... I have 2 of 3 together and it seems copacetic so far. They are even more like a pet rock than my T. miurus is..
My Suvattii is very outgoing and an aggressive feeder. But Ive read of many others being lumps. As to the ones you got do they all look the same? The one in the pic you posted clearly has the “V” marking of an arrowhead or Suvattii.

Do they always show so dark for you? Mine will change depending on mood but seems to like to show a camo pattern to match my sand.

Reactions: Fat Homer

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
There's no doubt thats a suvatti.

I had the same. My old one was more outgoing and aggressive. My current one is like a pet rock. The congo's I've had have been rather interactive.

Here's some pics the first is a dragon notice the colors, big eyes, and the hump back. The 2nd is a suvatti notice the more drab colors along with the arrow on its head (arrowhead)

640DSC00046.jpg puffer_arrowhead.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store