Hybrid Channa species

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Does anyone have photo's of hybrid channa? I was reading that farms in china have crossed C.Argus with C.Maculata as well as C. Asiatica but can't seem to find pictures.

I came across the information while trying to find the source of these mystery platinums coming out of china, I think there are to many of them appearing on the market for to be a wild caught. Someone somewhere must know where they are coming from and what they are , but now I'm wondering if these same farms that are running hybridizing and selective breeding projects could have something to do with the platinums coming out of china.

I'm particularly interested to see the asiatica hybrids !

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
Even snakeheads are hybridized now... I would think the sole species would be more than enough for food consumptio. They produce so much and grow so fast as well.

Unless they are hybridizing in the wild, i dont like this idea. If some escape it could be bad. Plus a billion fry a year, thats a lot!

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I fully agree with Devon that those Chinese Platinnums ( I think we can establish that they mainly come from China ) have "humand hand".

It is not very plausible for a locale to have been recently discovered full of those guys (as a new, as of yet undiscovered, sp....)

When I spoke to Glaser in Germany they confirmed that they were chinese, but procured through a guy in Singapore. They had ( or diod not want to give ) further info.....

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I fully agree with Devon that those Chinese Platinnums ( I think we can establish that they mainly come from China ) have "humand hand".

It is not very plausible for a locale to have been recently discovered full of those guys (as a new, as of yet undiscovered, sp....)

When I spoke to Glaser in Germany they confirmed that they were chinese, but procured through a guy in Singapore. They had ( or diod not want to give ) further info.....
Yup, I'm sure part of the problem i'm sure is someone being greedy along the way and not wanting others to find the source lol.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I think we nailed that down.

And I think we also nailed down that they are a subspecies of Argus ( Kurikai(?).

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
is a Chinese Platinum the same as a white pearl lemon?
Correct, both are the exact same species, Commercially bred and one farm developed the yellow fin strain. But Yellow/black/grey/white fin's are all the same species.

As Miguel mentioned we nailed it down on another thread he started about his white lemon pearl. It has lot's of detailed information, including pic's of the various color forms of the species. I also have since spotted a few other sites who have now started talking about them being argus so it's spreading!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store