Hybrid Fry

dialicious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto
www.diabishop.com
A few weeks back I adopted 4 unknown little hybrids. I was told they were convict/blue acara, but I really don't see the Aequidens pulcher in there anywhere. Plus, 3 of the 4 have blue eyes.

Anyways, the big red male and the yellow female (she has both yellow fins and eyes) decided to spawn. They've been guarding the driftwood for two weeks now and last night when I moved my new Monster Tank inside my boyfriend noticed the fry.

Mutant Fry! Inbred mutant fry at that! I have no idea what I'm going to do with them - but my boyfriend is in love with the little things. It's the first time he's seen this.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Very interesting. The one adult you have pictured is very nice looking. Keep us posted on the fry.

dialicious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto
www.diabishop.com
Thanks. I've been trying to get some good picture of the adults because I'd love some opinions on the mix. But the buggers never slow down enough - and the flash alters their colors. I believe this is the female - the flash captured a lot of her irredesance but darkened her body a lot.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Do you have any way of turning off the flash on your camera?

I can see where the person who sold them to you gave you the description of the hybrid. I can see hints of the A. Pulcher in the dorsal coloration, and the body is definitely A. Nigrofaciatus.

dialicious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto
www.diabishop.com

Without a flash the shutter speed drops down to foolish levels and I end up with nice pretty blur fish.
Very helpful for IDing, no?

It's my boyfriend's camera and I'm bad with the functions - when he's home from work I'll see if he can get some good shots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store