Hydra Treatment

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I still have Hydra!

I recently purchased some Fish Bendazole

Could some on please help me out with the correct dosage?

Fish Bendazole is 99% Fenbendazole

I have read reports of people using 0.1 gram of safeguard / panacur (22% fenbenzadole) to treat 10 gal of water in shrimp tanks.

Seeing as though fish bendazole has almost 5 x the amount of fenbenzadole in it would i be safe to a could use 0.1 gram of fish bendazole to treat 50 gals

Is Fenbezadole safe for scaless fish such as clown loaches, pleco, ghost knife?

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
Fenbendazole doesn't dissolve in water very well at all. I know you can warm the water in the microwave to mix it with first and that helps it dissolve. It can be warm but not too HOT. So you would add the Fenbendazole to a warm pint of water and shake. Then add the pint to the tank. Hopefully it will dissolve better.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Fenbendazole doesn't dissolve in water very well at all. I know you can warm the water in the microwave to mix it with first and that helps it dissolve. It can be warm but not too HOT. So you would add the Fenbendazole to a warm pint of water and shake. Then add the pint to the tank. Hopefully it will dissolve better.
ok cheers for letting me know... i ll remember to do just that

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I had hydra, probably still have a few hold outs. They lost a big portion of their food supply. When the algea scrubber started producing green.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
This is a deep subject. That alot of reasurch has been done. As it seems a $1700.00 price tag is required. So I kept looking. Screenshot_20171224-020929.png This is a free 14 page article, on the subject. Basicly, Algea will absorb, all the crap dissolved in the water. That Bacteria will absorb, and multiply. The algea will out compete bacteria. Leaving a green nutritious residue. Which is easily removed, and turned into bio diesel, or composted in to strawberry plant fertlizer. ( I grow lots of berries, cherries, and apples in the summer)
Hydra are fresh water mini anemones, just need some micro clown fish. They feed on bacteria, and larger single cell microorganisms.

Screenshot_20171224-022952.pngScreenshot_20171224-023039.png

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Also. The little daphnia monsters, compete with the hydra for any available bacteria, in addition to eating green algea. Fry and small fish prey on the daphnia, were nothing will eat hydra, that I know of.
If you have a infestation of ick, hydra, planaria, worms, or other sump monsters. An algea scrubber is a priceless tool. Possibly worth more than, all your bio media, and a kilo of Purigen.
Some want nitrate reduction, I want a battle scarred, fin nipped African Cichlid to heal him self. With out any pharmaceutical products.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store