HYDROLYCUS / PAYARA

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Hey everyone, thinking of getting a baby payara, choices are a 7cm Armatus for 50 usd or 12cm tatuia for 70 usd. Which leads to the question, which would you guys recommend taking? Whats the major differences? The pluses and minuses? Thanks in advance :)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Armature gets about three foot and his harder to keep, tats are smaller (I would go with a tat), both need a lot of space and prefer strong current.

Pellets really isn't an option, feed bits of fish or properly quarantined live fish (never goldfish).

Both should be kept in huge tanks for their respective sizes.

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
I see, tank sizes are not a problem for me, i have a bigger tank for them to upgrade them to whenever theyre ready, and maybe eventually a pond hahaha. In what ways are armatus harder to keep? Like are they more sensitive to water quality and temperatures, or picky eaters?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
In that case I'd take Armatus. Why ?because it's a freaking beast but you're taking care of it so get the one you find interesting.

They can be picky, but so are all piscivore hunter types. I really don't think their care is different, but I'm not an expert.

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Yeah i was siding with the armatus at first but the only available size at the moment is 2.5 to 3 inches, while the tatuia is available at 4inches. Id be keeping them with other 4 inch fish so id think itll be better to take the bigger one hahaha.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I see, tank sizes are not a problem for me, i have a bigger tank for them to upgrade them to whenever theyre ready, and maybe eventually a pond hahaha. In what ways are armatus harder to keep? Like are they more sensitive to water quality and temperatures, or picky eaters?
Armature care is more difficult, they just seem more sensitive in general, especially as adults.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store