I caught a new state yearly record.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
the excitement... the excitement... almost there... could it be a massive striped bass? halibut? a bluefin tuna? ... oh it's just a sculpin (what people in NE call sea scorpions." I remember once when I went deep sea fishing, the guy next to me caught lots of fish... but they were all sculpins.
I’d love to go deep sea fishing

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
the excitement... the excitement... almost there... could it be a massive striped bass? halibut? a bluefin tuna? ... oh it's just a sculpin (what people in NE call sea scorpions." I remember once when I went deep sea fishing, the guy next to me caught lots of fish... but they were all sculpins.
Oh yeah. No luck with what you want, but a million of those guys...

• Haha
Reactions: Rtc/tsn

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
that's epic dude. Well this disproves the people who say "sunfish reach 12 inches" since the state record is only 10.5 inches. Personally I think that sunfish usually only get to 8 inches max.
Depends on the species of sunfish but bluegill can definitely reach 12+ inches. I've caught multiple bluegill in several different states bigger than 12 inches. Longears, red breast, etc... are the ones that don't get much bigger then 5-8 inches. And also the world record of the largest sunfish species the redear/shell cracker is 17 inches long with a 20 inch girth at 6.3 pounds!

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Depends on the species of sunfish but bluegill can definitely reach 12+ inches. I've caught multiple bluegill in several different states bigger than 12 inches. Longears, red breast, etc... are the ones that don't get much bigger then 5-8 inches. And also the world record of the largest sunfish species the redear/shell cracker is 17 inches long with a 20 inch girth at 6.3 pounds!
Bluegill are generally caught at about 4-6” unless you’re in a creek finding catfish bait.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Bluegill are generally caught at about 4-6” unless you’re in a creek finding catfish bait.
granted most big blugill and every bluegill over 12 inches I have caught have been in large rather secluded low pressure ponds or lakes.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Conditions have to be extremely generous for them to grow past 7-8”
not extremely actually. Just generous/normal ideal conditions will get them that big in time. I think most spots are just overfished and ****ty conditions

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
not extremely actually. Just generous/normal ideal conditions will get them that big in time. I think most spots are just overfished and ****ty conditions
Around here the conditions have to be perfect for them to get bigger than 5”. Right now the lake has critically high E. Coli levels along with huge algae bloom and this happens maybe 2 times a year at the lake and it limits the sizes of fish greatly. The ponds near here that aren’t often fished or that have good quality water have fish that you would expect to find in the lake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store