I did an oopsie

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hey everyone!

So, I recently did a little oopsie. I have a tank with some tetras in it, of which are going through some fungal infection issues. So, I went to my LFS and got some Copper Power Green and dosed it into my tank, which also has a bamboo shrimp, 5 amano shrimp, and 5 nerite snails.

It was not until later that I read on the bottle that it is toxic to invertebrates, upon which I frantically set up a 2.5 gallon holding tank for them, and put them all in. Yes, I realize this was very stupid on my part, and I think have learned my lesson about reading labels.

How long until I am able to return them to the tank? does copper power green dissipate, or can it only be removed during water changes? I don't want to keep them in the 2.5 long, as while the amno shrimps and nerites will probably be fine, the bamboo shrimp probably doesn't;t like being in such a small space.

Any suggestions or advice are all welcome!

Iwhoopedbatman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Baltimore
Water changes and running carbon will get rid of the meds. With the shrimp out of the tank, you can do a big water change, just reacclimate them before putting them back in.

Where did you get the water for the 2.5 and were parameters the same as the regular tank? How did you acclimate them there?

Reactions: tlindsey

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Water changes and running carbon will get rid of the meds. With the shrimp out of the tank, you can do a big water change, just reacclimate them before putting them back in.

Where did you get the water for the 2.5 and were parameters the same as the regular tank? How did you acclimate them there?
I was actually using the 2.5 as a plant growing tank for my younger java ferns, of which I used some water from my 90g tank and some tap water (conditioned). Parameters were pretty much the same, pH was just a little off.

The thing is, If getting rid of the meds will stop helping the tetras, I don't want to do that right away, as the tetras are in pretty icky shape right now, and I want to help them get rid of that, and if doing a big water change will stop that, I don't want to do that, as I want to help my fish, so I'm very conflicted here.

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
I don't have too much knowledge on shrimp, but if they're doing ok in that tank, small or not, I would leave them for a week or so until the tetras are recovering and you get a good water change. It might not be ideal but it will probably be safest for everyone involved.

Iwhoopedbatman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Baltimore
I was actually using the 2.5 as a plant growing tank for my younger java ferns, of which I used some water from my 90g tank and some tap water (conditioned). Parameters were pretty much the same, pH was just a little off.

The thing is, If getting rid of the meds will stop helping the tetras, I don't want to do that right away, as the tetras are in pretty icky shape right now, and I want to help them get rid of that, and if doing a big water change will stop that, I don't want to do that, as I want to help my fish, so I'm very conflicted here.
So long as the 2.5 is cycled and has an air stone or something for water movement, I would probably leave them in there for a week or more if needed and finish the med cycle. The biggest concern is how they handled going straight into the 2.5 without being acclimated. Be sure to take your time with that process when returning them once you've finished the meds round. Shrimp hate being moved.
You could also look into putting them in a container in your 90 gallon if you think ammonia poisoning is an issue in the 2.5.

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
I would assume the 2.5 is quite heavily planted considering the size and the fact that OP has a 90 gallon as well. If that's the case I would safely assume it can handle the addition of a few shrimp and snap considering their tiny addition to the bioload. Just monitor the parameters often until you're able to reintroduce them.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
I would assume the 2.5 is quite heavily planted considering the size and the fact that OP has a 90 gallon as well. If that's the case I would safely assume it can handle the addition of a few shrimp and snap considering their tiny addition to the bioload. Just monitor the parameters often until you're able to reintroduce them.
Yes, lots of little plants. As well as some dragonstone, a not-in-use sponge from a spongefilter, and some fake plants. Has a heater and an airstone flowing. I will definitely keep an eye on the parameters to make sure everything is good. I couldn't acclimate them much, as the water I was moving them in had copper in it, and I didn't want to put any copper in the tank. They handled it well, and are out and about, munching on a wafer I gave them. I did consider putting them in a container in the 90, and if the parameters become an issue, ill probably do just that.

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
Sounds good. I don't blame you for not acclimating them properly. Copper is very dangerous do it was possibly better not to. Sounds like you have a good handle on things. Best of luck to you and your fish.

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hey everyone!

So, I recently did a little oopsie. I have a tank with some tetras in it, of which are going through some fungal infection issues. So, I went to my LFS and got some Copper Power Green and dosed it into my tank, which also has a bamboo shrimp, 5 amano shrimp, and 5 nerite snails.

It was not until later that I read on the bottle that it is toxic to invertebrates, upon which I frantically set up a 2.5 gallon holding tank for them, and put them all in. Yes, I realize this was very stupid on my part, and I think have learned my lesson about reading labels.

How long until I am able to return them to the tank? does copper power green dissipate, or can it only be removed during water changes? I don't want to keep them in the 2.5 long, as while the amno shrimps and nerites will probably be fine, the bamboo shrimp probably doesn't;t like being in such a small space.

Any suggestions or advice are all welcome!
Copper can seep into stuff in the tank so do be wary. Personally I have never used copper but I know that depending on what type you use it can be absorbed by things like the tank wall sealants which essentially renders it unusable by inverts

Uglyknob

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2019
Lakeland, FL
I've had great luck with cuprisorb. It targets copper and is rechargeable, with a visual indication of when it absorbs copper. You could leave it in indefinitely, I would think (also handles other heavy metals).

Either way, (useless anecdote incoming) my biggest tank had copper treatment a couple of times and then I got interested in shrimp. Ran cuprisorb after treatment. Bamboo and whisker shrimp have been living in there for a couple of years now.

With that said, that tank is heavily planted. Plants use trace amounts of copper and I add a bit every other day. The forest there could be filtering out any traces left.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store