I Don't Know What to Keep Anymore :(

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What size 4 foot tank? Big difference between a 55 and 120.
Right now I have two setups, one with large fish (two 12"+ pike cichlids, some silver dollars) and one with smaller fish (mix of CA cichlids and livebearers), and the setup with the smaller fish is much more satisfying for me to watch. Being able to watch the interactions of the fish in their environment, and seeing the fish have lots of room to explore, set up territories, quarrel, etc. is very rewarding.
What I would do is a colony of cryptoheros species, like Dan suggested. You will be able to watch them form pairs, breed, show off to each other, bicker over food and territory. Very interesting. Add some livebearers and bottom dwellers, and you will have activity all over the tank.
If your tank is a 55 gallon you should go with C. nanoluteus, they stay the smallest and you could keep 6 or so in the tank. Might have problems trying to do the larger species in that size. If it is a 75, 90, 120, I would say you could probably do any cryptoheros. Beware of convicts, they are generally harder to keep in groups in my experience.

Reactions: Steve_C

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
1 Leopard puffer (Tetraodon Schoutedeni)
3 cb Senegal birchir with a dwarf macrostoma giraffe cat.
That would make a great little tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Polypterus are a lot of fun to keep, I'd highly recommend them! Is your heart set on cichlids? :)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Goldfish.
Hey, if it's 5ft high, 4ft cylinder, you could keep just about anything :)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
1 Leopard puffer (Tetraodon Schoutedeni)
3 cb Senegal birchir with a dwarf macrostoma giraffe cat.
That would make a great little tank.
Polypterus are a lot of fun to keep, I'd highly recommend them! Is your heart set on cichlids? :)
I was gonna suggest polys too...never go wrong with them lol. But op doesnt want to worry about securing lids.

I love the puffer idea. Or a group of exodons. Id even consider some nice active community fish. I say do something different. We've all done the cichlid thing. Love em tho

Reactions: justarn and dan518

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I called about a leopard puffer local to me today £180 tho eek...
I think the only 4" fish I'm tempted to spend that much on, add a dwarf giraffe cat and some Congo tetra if not polys and would be n awesome tank.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store