I Forgot Dechlorinator! HELP!

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
RD the area were you speak by Lake St. Clair is from idiots that dump grass clippings on the Clinton River . This is not the source for drinking water. Also If you read my reply IO was talking about what I DO. Also glad you beleive the glacier fed water hype from some bottled water company but to each his own. I'am not paying 2 bucks abottle for tap water with a fance glacier fed label on it. LOL

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I lived on the Canadian side of the river/lake. :)

The glacial fed river where my cities tap water is now sourced from, originates on the side of a mountain, that makes up part of the Rocky Mountain range. It doesn't come from a bottle. lol

And yes, I did read what you wrote, you stated:
The fish if ok now will be fine. As was said not enough chloramine or chlorine in tap water if mixed will older water to do any damage. I too have been rinsing my media in cold tap water and have for years without any ill effects. Now I did an experiment and rinsed in warm to hot water and I did experiance a mini cycle. Also I agree that rinsing in old tank water is non sense.
For a starter the OP didn't mix anything with older water, his tank that contained these PB fry was filled with straight tap water.
In some parts of the country, no problem, in others, a 6 1/2 hour exposure time in chlorinated tap water would be a death sentence for most species of young fry. Forget about damage to gill tissue, the fish would be dead. The least of anyone's concern here should be BB die off, that part is an easy fix, but you can't un-ring the bell with regards to a fishes exposure to chlorine/chloramine. It's like saying that a "little" bit of second hand smoke won't harm an infant. At higher levels found in some municipalities untreated tap water can cause death within hours, at lower levels damage to gill tissue, and for those with very low levels perhaps 6 1/2 exposure will cause no harm.

That's the only point that I have been attempting to get across. You agreed with Water, Water was wrong to make such a wide sweeping generalization. :)

For many members here (such as those who have chlorine/chloramine levels near the EPA's max of 4 mg/l) rinsing their bio media in dechlorinated tap water, or their tank water, isn't nonsense, as you stated, it's the only way to go. Failure to do so will cause some or all (depending on their local disinfectant levels) of the bio-bacteria to die off. Free chlorine at even medium levels will kill most species of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter bacteria. How quickly, or how much, bacteria that free chlorine or chloramine will kill is highly dependant on numerous factors, such as the level of disinfectant residual coming out of the users tap, the water temp, pH level of the water, exposure time, etc. There is no study involving water treatment facilities that will state otherwise. In certain districts of the US some water treatment facilities that use chloramine can & often do have issues with controlling nitrifying bacteria in their systems, and some areas resolve that by running free chlorine at certain times of the year as chlorine is much more deadly to these bacteria than chloramine, which is partly made up with ammonia, which in turn feeds this type of bacteria. Again, a lot of this will depend on water temps, pH levels, disinfectant levels, etc.

This is not a simple case of black & white, everyone who reads this discussion could be dealing with different variables, not to mention the fact that the vast majority of members on this site most likely have no idea what level of disinfectant residuals are coming out of their tap. If you started a poll on this forum asking how much Seachem Prime needs to be added to 50 gallons of tap water, almost everyone will state 1 capful (5 ml), not realizing that doseage rate is for 4 mg/l chloramine, and/or 5 mg/l of chlorine. I've lost count how many times I have read that over the years, with no one enquiring as to the OP's type or level of disinfectant being used in their tap water.

So yes Alan, I understand that this is what you DO, my point was simply that for those who have to do things differently due to their local conditions, there may be a very valid reason for that, and it isn't nonsense. :)

HTH

Reactions: ocellatus

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Typical of this site another I have to be right poster no one else can have an opinnion and possibly be right, I'am done with this thread everyone listen to RD because hi is right. No particiliar reason just that he knows everything and he is right.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's not a case of I have to be right, it's a case of I am right. :)

If you fail to follow the logic behind my comments then I'm not sure what more I can say on this subject. Nothing personal Allan, I would just hate to see someone read yours or Waters comments & get to thinking that using dechlorinated water, or tank water, to rinse their bio media out is nonsense.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
I have to agree with RD, I learned from an awful experience in younger fishkeeping days. I washed a canister filter with biomedia with tap water and killed my bb and the tank instantly had ammonia levels so high when my filter finally recycled it was to late I lost my beloved fish that I had for 3 years I took all the measures needed to try to save my fish but the ammonia burn was too much they even lost their fins I had no other tank to put the fish in it sucked to see them die because I did something by not knowing what I was doing was bad. The sad thing is I had done it before and it did not cause the same problem. So RD is right about tap water it could have different levels of chlorine at certain times of year, wash your biomedia with TANKWATER.

CatfishLuver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
The Land where Fish Rule!
Alright guys if you want to start an arguement over water and chlorine and its effects, start your own thread! The point of this thread was to help my fish (which are fine now) so if you want to continue stating your points of view, do it in a civilized manner on your own thread

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There is no argument, obviously.

The info posted here may assist other members & has zero effect on "your" thread, and "your" fish at this point, so what's the problem? It's a public forum amigo, no harm in sharing quality information that may later help someone else out, is there?

wilkinson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2009
Upper Uranus
There is no argument, obviously.

The info posted here may assist other members & has zero effect on "your" thread, and "your" fish at this point, so what's the problem? It's a public forum amigo, no harm in sharing quality information that may later help someone else out, is there?
:iagree:

TheLeviathan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2011
MY
InsyaAllah everything's gonna be alright.

Steve T

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2017
I did a 50% water change on my 55gallon aquarium and used stability instead of prime, accidently. I realized it 3 days later and never saw any stress or disease on my fish. I have 12 african cichlids and 2 small catfish. I did put about 1 cap in but it was 3 days later. Fish are all doing great.
Normally I use a 1/4 cap for every 5 gallon bucket. I pour it in as the water is filling the bucket and have never had an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store