I have 4 day old koi fry and there are lots if unfertilized eggs in my tank. Should I move the fry and clean my tank? It can happen something to fry?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If you are sure the eggs are duds then there are two ways to look at it. Sometimes when I have fry I stick a mature sponge filter in with the fry. The tiny fry seem to find something to graze on. So leaving the dead eggs in might generate some tiny protoza for the fry to feed on assuming the water quality stays good.
A problem may be how to remove the dead eggs without also removing some fry. You may have a few more fry that already counted. I eventually made a fitting with a fine screen for siphoning water out of a tank with tiny fry. Does not get ant detritus out tho just removes some water so I can keep on top of water quality.

I do not really know enough about your set up to make a good answer but my initial guess is to leave the eggs and other stuff in the tank for a few days. If the water stays good then when the fry get bigger the risk of siphoning some out is reduced.

The other side of this is the water quality. If it is questionable then you may have to do something even if risky. I still would try just changing out some water volume first. If you feel compelled to clean out the stuff may I suggest draining the tank stuff into some buckets, let it sit a while and take a good look for fry in the bucket before throwing it out.

Good luck and congrats on the fry.

Last edited:

Myat Thu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2019
Hello; If you are sure the eggs are duds then there are two ways to look at it. Sometimes when I have fry I stick a mature sponge filter in with the fry. The tiny fry seem to find something to graze on. So leaving the dead eggs in might generate some tiny protoza for the fry to feed on assuming the water quality stays good.
A problem may be how to remove the dead eggs without also removing some fry. You may have a few more fry that already counted. I eventually made a fitting with a fine screen for siphoning water out of a tank with tiny fry. Does not get ant detritus out tho just removes some water so I can keep on top of water quality.

I do not really know enough about your set up to make a good answer but my initial guess is to leave the eggs and other stuff in the tank for a few days. If the water stays good then when the fry get bigger the risk of siphoning some out is reduced.

The other side of this is the water quality. If it is questionable then you may have to do something even if risky. I still would try just changing out some water volume first. If you feel compelled to clean out the stuff may I suggest draining the tank stuff into some buckets, let it sit a while and take a good look for fry in the bucket before throwing it out.

Good luck and congrats on the fry.
Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: tlindsey

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Dloks Dloks is a breeder master shoukd have plenty of tips

Reactions: Myat Thu

Dloks

Potamotrygon