I have a 20gal

Mrchub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2009
New york
and i want to get a crayfish of some sort would i be able to?
there are two tri-color sharks in the tank
and i plan on geting a 55gal soon

sykofrenic

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
ca
i had a crayfish in one of my tanks for a while and it tore up ALL of my plants and attacked my fish (pbass). so be aware that they can be little *******. and they eat meat too

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
sykofrenic;2912023; said:
i had a crayfish in one of my tanks for a while and it tore up ALL of my plants and attacked my fish (pbass). so be aware that they can be little *******. and they eat meat too
Not attacking or disagreeing, but this is why it's important to study various species before acquiring them. Not all crayfish tear up plants, not all crayfish attack fish, not all crayfish eat meat, etc. A lot of issues with crayfish come from the fact that species that should be kept alone in tanks are forced into community settings or vice versa. Or that proper tanks aren't set up for species that require very specific environments and conditions, which can result in abnormal behaviors or death.

To the OP: A 20gal is suited for a variety of crayfish, be mindful that some of the favored Aussie species that are commonly sold will outgrow a 20gal easily. Most NA species, on the other hand, will do fine in them. However, a lot of NA species are very fish aggressive and would not be suited for your tank (2 of the most commonly sold ones, P. clarkii and P. alleni, for example are very fish aggressive and prefer meat matter over vegetable. They'd probably beat on your fish and could potentially kill them). I believe Tri-Colors are omnivorous, yes? If the crayfish had offspring they may become food for them, but I'm not sure, since I don't keep Tri-Colors.

If you want a crayfish I'd suggest getting Cherax quads (these will require large tanks as adults), O. virilis, O. limosus, Marmorkrebs, Cherax sp. Hoa Creek, etc. These are more passive species... not that casualties can't occur, but they'd be less likely to.

But if you don't know what species you're getting, general rule for safety... crayfish = species tanks, not community.

Mrchub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2009
New york
i bleave the tri-colors are i plan on geting a 55 soon
and ty i will take alook at my LFS 2 see witch ones they got

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
i had 2 blue claw lobsters and they were brilliant. they lived with fronts and blood parrots. they stayed in their hidey holes until food came then they were everywhere. brilliant!

rodder506

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
pennsylvania
I actually caught 3 crawfish in on of my friends creeks. They love to eat shirmp pellets but also like to ride on my oscar by pinching him.

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
rodder506;2912539; said:
but also like to ride on my oscar by pinching him.
lol, one of my babies used to do that with the Hoplo I had in his tank. I'd look over and see the Hoplo zooming around with a cray holding on for dear life to it's tail :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store