I have an Aquarium Mystery to solve

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ
The tank i keep at work has the same issue... in the summer when it gets more indirect light for a longer period of time. Nothing I did worked and I was about to break down and buy a magnum and an inline UV until I started covering the tank at night and over the weekend. That and the change in the length of the day did it... and for now I don't have to cover the tank anymore.

It's a 75 gal schoolling tank BTW. dozens of tetras and cories and a pair of angels with ottos and a bristlenose on clean up.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Thanks for looking it up. Wikipedia rocks :headbang2 However, one thing it cannot do is interpreting the data it presents:

fishnutham;653259; said:
sorry harley but you're wrong light passing thru a window will create algae growth
I never said it ain't so :cry: Light causes algae growth, that is undisputed. All I say is that it's not UV light!

fishnutham;653259; said:
just because you dont get the spectrum that causes sunburn dosnt mean windows block uv.
Sunburn is caused by UVA and UVB, with a peak at 320 nm. Since you cannot get a sunburn sitting next to the window, we can safely assume that window glass blocks UV efficiently in that range of the spectrum. In addition, light has to penetrate the aquarium glass plus the water, both of which, yet again, absorb UV. What finally ends up at the target site is negligible.

fishnutham;653259; said:
Ordinary glass is partially transparent to UVA but is opaque to shorter wavelengths while Silica or quartz glass, depending on quality, can be transparent even to vacuum UV wavelengths. Ordinary window glass passes about 90% of the light above 350 nm, but blocks over 90% of the light below 300 nm
First, let's stay on track: I was not talking about specialty glass here ;) Let's stick to window ("ordinary") glass. That 90% statement is a very wild quote from Wikipedia. Absorbance is directly proportional to the thickness of the sample (Lamber-Beer's Law). That means it depends on what window you have in your house (double-insulated or 1960s thin as in my town-home where I currently have ice on the inside of my living room window brrrrrrrr).

Anyhow, let it pass those 30 nm from 350-380nm in the near UV. As a generalized statement, I think it is still fair to say that windows block UV completely from 1-350nm (remember sunburn maximum at 320nm is blocked completely) and above that still partly (350-380 nm) (I state that as a tribute to your research and Wikipedia ;)) - which is of no relevance here, because:

Last but not least, we are talking about the spectrum of the light which induces algae growth. Specifically green algae. As the name says, they are photosynthetic organisms. Photosynthesis, however, is powered by wavelengths of 680 and 700 nm (photosystem II and I). Neither chlorophyll nor proteins associated to it in some other algae (phycoerythrin in red algae and phycocyanin in blue-green algae/bacteria) don't really absorb in the UV spectrum ... no absorbance, no power, no life.

[this graph shows absorbance ex vivo. It changes slightly to higher wavelengths in vivo]

Bottom Line: Let's say the root of all evil is the light that passes thu the window and reaches her tank, not the UV light, okay?

HarleyK

fishnutham;653264; said:
just on a side note what do you think causes your furniture and carpet to fade where it gets direct sunlight from the windows
It's the light of the wavelength absorbed by the respective item. Absorption of light can over time lead to decay of the respective dye. A green carpet fades because if absorbs red and blue. A blue table fades because it absorbs green and red. A red door fades because it absorbs green and blue. UV causes cracking and brittleness in exterior applications (garden hose, old house paint). However, just by absorbing UV light, items do not fade in their colors!

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
I'm in no mood to argue the point Harley we can fight about spectrum's of light all day in fact i could spend years in university to understand it completely but we could still debate it..
The fact stands indirect daylight or direct will cause green water in the tank..

Thanks for the info you provided found it interesting to say the least..

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
fishnutham;653387; said:
The fact stands indirect daylight or direct will cause green water in the tank..
You're right, let's agree on that and focus on helping the Keeper to get rid of her green algae bloom
:cheers:

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
All right, Keeper,

What's your update? You have two guys here, eager to help, with rolled-up sleeves and ready to go!

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
fishnutham;653264; said:
just on a side note what do you think causes your furniture and carpet to fade where it gets direct sunlight from the windows
Buy polyester carpet, it doesn't fade. But it will wear out in 3 years. LOL

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
It's the light of the wavelength absorbed by the respective item. Absorption of light can over time lead to decay of the respective dye. A green carpet fades because if absorbs red and blue. A blue table fades because it absorbs green and red. A red door fades because it absorbs green and blue. UV causes cracking and brittleness in exterior applications (garden hose, old house paint). However, just by absorbing UV light, items do not fade in their colors!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=653368 http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=653368 http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=653368 http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=653368

I'm really concerned about your color coordinating skills tho HK...:ROFL:

Bright light = algae

I'm glad we all agree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store