I know its on here somewhere but can't find what I'm looking for

Probird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2017
I'm building a new tank and I want to use bulkheads for intake and output for my canister filter .. Where should I place these ?
I've seen where Ppl say it can be to much down pressure on the inlet to canister but I want your guys knowledgeable thoughts ...
Its a fluval fx6 and I wanted line to pump on bottom back and spray bar on opposite top but thru bulkheads .. Thanks guys and gals for any advice..

Reactions: tlindsey

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
How big is the tank?
Doubt it will be an issue
I always install my bulk heads and then run a small bead of silicone around the edge of it.
Fill after a few hours, I find it pushes the silicone in a bit and have never had a leak.

Probird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2017
It figures about 265 , I'm actually doing two fx6's but if the plumbing works for one I know it would two lol . I'm gonna go the extra and silicone it but mostly wondering if the pump can handle it , I've seen ppl say no but thats post on internet from yrs ago . I'm gonna try it in the garage and if it fails when I turn off power I'll just wash the floor .... Was wishing for more feed back but guess my title wasn't very exciting lol thank you thou takagari

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Plenty of people on here have tied there canister filters into their bulkheads. Also I've never used silicone on a bulkhead . The rubber gaskets if seated right is all you'll need for a water tight seal.

Probird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2017
Plenty of people on here have tied there canister filters into their bulkheads. Also I've never used silicone on a bulkhead . The rubber gaskets if seated right is all you'll need for a water tight seal.
Thank ya sir , final coat of pond armor is today so I'll be getting to them stages tomorrow I hope :)

Giant Val

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Qld, Australia
I have 3 x FX6s on a 320 gal tank. Two of these are plumbed through bulk heads. My bulkheads are near the top, not bottom, but I don't imagine near the bottom would caue problems. I don't use silicon on the bulkheads just the gaskets that come with the bulkhead with a bit of vaseline. Doesn't leak. All good. Note that I had to replace the hosing that came with the FX6s to something that was compatible with the bulkheads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store