I know same old newb question!

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Ok so I am not quite a newb but I do have a newb question lol. What would be a nice little breeding colony of africans for a 29 gallon. I know I know same old same old sorry! I just absolutely cannot decide what I want to keep in this fish tank. I want to keep it for life so idk yet. If nothing good comes up I am getting a pair of cons :( for my pickerel.

Chad

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Brichardis are awesome - haven't tried them yet, but I want to. They form huge families lol

Also, another nice one would be any sort of the small Haps - burtoni, obliquidens, etc...

or a Pseudotropheus aurora (lucerna)

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Yea I was deffinatly thinking of brichardi. I have always loved them. Any preferences for them? Should I use crushed coral or what? If I were to keep them. Also Santoury thanks for all the posts lol. I think you have been like the first one to answer all of my questions lately.

Chad

why_spyder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Sioux City, IA
www.cynotilapia.info
Pseudotropheus saulosi - my buddy has got a small colony going, and is adding to it still. His goal is 4 males and 22 females in a 55. You could like 2 males and 10 females in a tank of that size.

Otherwise I'd vote for Cynotilapia sp. white top 'Hara' or Cynotilapia sp. lion 'Lion's Cove'.

Some people do demasoni too.

kscichlidfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
kansas
In a 29 a colony of 15-20 demasoni can be kept according the experts at the other cichlid forum. Be sure and use the "egg crate" stuff on the bottom to evenly spread the weight of the all the rock. Regardless of what species is chosen there will have to be plenty of hiding places for the females who arent ready to spawn and for the subbordinate males or some major aggression could occur. Good luck with whatever you choose as ultimately it is your tank and your choice. =)

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Thank you very much I think I may make a run to the LFS today and see what they got.

Chad

fish head )'>

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
S.E. Michigan
I've got some Daffodil babies. Where in Michigan do you live? I'm Farmington Hills.
They love to dig. I have had them in sand and gravel. They seemed to like the gravel more.

100_0474.jpg

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I live in Temperance MI. I know where Farmington Hills is. It is about an hour north of me.

Chad

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
I love the P. saulosi, Cynotilapia, and Neolamp brichardi recommendations but would further with suggestions of other tangs like Neolamp. pulcher, "daffodils" or other variants like those from Tembwe which are also sold as Neolamp. olivacious. Neolamp splendens "helianthus" (AKA. Neolamp. helianthus) is also a very beautiful fish. A lot meaner looking than the other two species but just as pretty.
If you didn't mind something that was more about behavior than looks I'd also urge you to look into Telmatochromis vittatus.

fish head )'>;922479; said:
I've got some Daffodil babies. Where in Michigan do you live? I'm Farmington Hills.
They love to dig. I have had them in sand and gravel. They seemed to like the gravel more.
You've got a Neolamp. pulcher x Neolamp. splendens (helianthus) pair. :eek:
Nice fish though. :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store