I LOVE this GLUTTON of a Catfish!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The dealer I got mine from is in Chicago and has one more left at about 6-7 inches for only 80 which is a steal of a deal!
This was within the norm 4-5 years when I was shopping for mine. Koltsixx and I, completely independently, have bought ours from the same two sources, RiverWonders and Shark Aquarium. Apparently the only places him and I were able to find at that time.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey V.J. (thebiggerthebetter), don't recall commenting on the i.d. of your former cephalosilirus but from the photo's shown it looks like either two c. apurensis or the dark one could be c. nigricaudus, that is if it came from Suriname, of course. C. fowleri from Brazil are easy to i.d based on their flatter profile and lack of belly markings compared to c. apurensis but c. nigricaudus (latin for black tail) closely resemble apurensis, just usually darker. Can't generally go by color/markings in these fish as they can change regularly according to individuals plus mood and environmental lighting are factors as well. Gluttons they are, the first day home, my baby apurensis ate 20 live goldfish! Still looking for a c. nigricaudus or the fourth species from Guyana...
Thanks much, Yellowcat! We touched on what Wolfgang said but it does not really matter anymore as I lost Wolfgang's input. I had three. The last one is different from the two in the above pics. Anyone ever seen the 4th one in the trade/being kept? I mean other than the sci paper...

TheeEmotionalPayara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2013
Chicago
I know locally in my area I personally have never seem them for sale in a lfs or at any of the importers. Such a cool fish though. The dealer who imported this guy had the two and reported that they were quite quarrelsome with each other. He also eating big smelts now as well.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They will not tolerate their kind in a small tank, unless there is a pile of at least a dozen in a 30 gal like I've found at Shark Aquarium on many occasions. Mine three 1'-1.5'-ers were in a 4000 gal, 40'x6'x3'. Still squabbled a bit as you can see by the roughed up fins. Fed often side-by-side though.

aztec22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2013
Planet Vegeta
sorry i am very new but is this fish related in any way to the chaca catfish, i have one that is about an inch long. if anyone is familiar with this fish, do you have any tips on what to feed them when only 1-1.5" long? thanks.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
You'd be better off starting your own thread if you want advice on Chaca's. As for your question no they're not in the same family. Chaca's are Chacidae and Apurensis are Pseudopimelodidae. As for food Chaca's are renowned for being hard to break off live though the success where of small individuals such as yours. As such I'd feed the little guy guppies or worms(black/red) and try sneaking in the occasional pellet. Godd luck man and please if you have any more questions start your own thread so it can receive the proper attention.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks much, Yellowcat! We touched on what Wolfgang said but it does not really matter anymore as I lost Wolfgang's input. I had three. The last one is different from the two in the above pics. Anyone ever seen the 4th one in the trade/being kept? I mean other than the sci paper...
Forgot to mention that I do remember that Wolfgang's input clearly contradicted the Cat-eLog of PCF, AFAI could see. I didn't know what to make of this and I still don't. One thing is clear to me - this genus in the Cat-eLog needs much work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store