I Need an Id are they mayans or Festaes ? these were caught on the Tamiami trail and are wild !

Badbad Patrick

Gambusia
Jul 21, 2012
Some of the fish have 1 dot on the tail and some have 3, is this the Male/Female, difference or are they a mix Breed , I know they all cant stay in there much longer together , I really would just appreciate a good Id on them

mayan2.jpg mayan3.jpg mayan4.jpg mayan5.jpg

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
If you ever get a chance to put a Mayan and a Festae side by side, their differences will be quite apparent.

Festae: black spot at base of tail is smaller and higher up, vertical bars more discrete, body seems more elongated

Reactions: cockroach

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Mbargas, if you compare the tail spots on the festae below, with the ones in the video, they are quite different,. And not just in festae, in most South American species the caudal "spot" is in upper half of the caudal.
And generally speaking, in Central American species the spot reaches only top to bottom, or smack dab in the middle, and can be most irregular.
First a male festae.

now a female

now compare some Central American species
Rheoheros lentiginosum

Nosferatu labridens yellow

Herichthys carpintus

similar in the Caribbean species

above Nandopsis haitiensus
below Nandopsis tetracanthus

Note for NorthAmerican species "most" in my photos are young, because the spot often disappears in mature individuals

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store