I need help with my Payara barracuda

CornelliusCorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2017
Im in need of some help with my payara. I haven't seen him eat, been about a week since I've gotten him. It might be eating at night but I'm not 100% sure. Also when I got him from work today he has something wrong with his nose. Like a white spot or something as you seen in the picture. Any help with this guy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Post some water parameters. Gotta kee ur nitrates <40ppm. The lower the better.

Add some salt 1tsp per gallon.

Looks like the front of it was due to rubbing on glass. Keep an eye out for ich etc.

Probably need to use live food unless able to wean to pellets/tilapia. Probably fed live food at the lfs.

Qt any live food u use or can treat in a separate tank with salt and methylene blue dip. Guppies are a healthier option than rosy reds etc.

Reactions: CornelliusCorn

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
^Great advice,to me it looks like it banged it's snout on the glass....something could have sppoked and caused it to bolt across the tank.
If that is the case,it happens pretty commonly with payara and the snout will heal eventually.
My armatus used to go on hunger strikes that would last up to a month at times.

CornelliusCorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2017
Post some water parameters. Gotta kee ur nitrates <40ppm. The lower the better.

Add some salt 1tsp per gallon.

Looks like the front of it was due to rubbing on glass. Keep an eye out for ich etc.

Probably need to use live food unless able to wean to pellets/tilapia. Probably fed live food at the lfs.

Qt any live food u use or can treat in a separate tank with salt and methylene blue dip. Guppies are a healthier option than rosy reds etc.
I've got a QT tank set up. The guy at my LFS said he's had him since he was about 2 inches. Was brough up eating danios. I've tried that, frozen krill, mollys, and rosy reds. He's in my 75 gallon with a 7 inch oscar and 3 red hook silver dollars. I make sure the oscar is full then drop a few feeders in. I've watched him for an hour or so and he'll show interest in them, kinda watch them and sometimes even swim over to them and check them out but won't actually go after them. I'll wake up the next morning and the feeders will be gone. Might be my oscar.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Oscar maybe the prob. Once the armatus (I assume) gets bigger it'll tear the others up for sure.

Qt tank will help.

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
Just keep your water clean he probably scraped it against something but it will heal. Payara will eat at night but I guess its unkown whos eating the feeders. If possible you could keep him in the tank alone. Otherwise fill the oscar up before lights out and then drop in a bunch of feeders and a couple of floating pellets. Dont stress over this. Instinct should keep the payara alive.

Reactions: CornelliusCorn

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Also,the fish looks like a scomb but if you can,post a photo of it's full body.That way we can eye-dee the fish and you can stop calling it a barracuda.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store