I need help with new 90 gallon mbuna setup.

stark6935

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
I would really appreciate some help with finding fish, and advice on how many of each I need. Will these fish work ok together?

I have a list of fish I would like to stock my new 90 gallon with. I was hoping to stock my tank with the following fish:

Labidochromis var. ''Super Red Top Hongi''

Cynotilapia zebroides Cobwe ''Orange Back''

Cynotilapia afra

Pseudotropheus flavus

I was looking at tampa bay cichlids, and a few other people to buy from. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is it possible to have more than one male of this type? Like could I have 2.2 of each kind and keep them happy?

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would really appreciate some help with finding fish, and advice on how many of each I need. Will these fish work ok together?

I have a list of fish I would like to stock my new 90 gallon with. I was hoping to stock my tank with the following fish:

Labidochromis var. ''Super Red Top Hongi''

Cynotilapia zebroides Cobwe ''Orange Back''

Cynotilapia afra

Pseudotropheus flavus

I was looking at tampa bay cichlids, and a few other people to buy from. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is it possible to have more than one male of this type? Like could I have 2.2 of each kind and keep them happy?
Welcome aboard

james99 james99

stark6935

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Welcome aboard

james99 james99
Thank you. I have kept some peacocks before, but don't think I actually had any mbuna. I'm getting my tank today, setting it up, and going to have it running here.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you. I have kept some peacocks before, but don't think I actually had any mbuna. I'm getting my tank today, setting it up, and going to have it running here.

I personally have a couple of male peacocks in seperate aquarium's and don't have experience with Mbuna but experienced members will respond.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
The issue with the fish you've picked is that all of the males resemble each other, being striped. You want each group to look different to avoid comflict. You also have to cynotilapia species. I would pick one with bars, one with horizontal stripes, and 2 different solid colors.

Normally having to males of the same species doesn't work, one will dominate the other. You want 1 male or 3+, but some species will only allow one male.

stark6935

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
The issue with the fish you've picked is that all of the males resemble each other, being striped. You want each group to look different to avoid comflict. You also have to cynotilapia species. I would pick one with bars, one with horizontal stripes, and 2 different solid colors.

Normally having to males of the same species doesn't work, one will dominate the other. You want 1 male or 3+, but some species will only allow one male.

So I could have 3 males and it would work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store