i need help

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
ok i have a 150 gal tank. what type of filtration should i use. its gonna have 2 gars a atf channel cats. the only kind of filter i have ever used is like those emperor type. so if you thing i should do something else pleace explane it bc i want to learn how they work oh and how much bc im not rich. i know alot of u guys on here have sep tanks and canasters and stuff and im lost with all that. pleace educate me MFK

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
Most people started their hobby using HOB(hang on back) filters. The best HOB in my opinion is the ac500 simply because the sponge used in the ac500( now known as the ac110) can be rinse and reused numerous times before having to replace.

Canister filters are great to keep a tank crystal clear with the right media. IMO Canister filter are good if you have tanks between 75-125 gallons. I use canisters as mechinical filters. Alot of people dont like canister because its time consuming to take apart and clean or replace the media.

Wet/dry are most expensive to buy but very cheap to make and are among the best for biological filtration. This is most preferred by experience hobbyist.

Just remember this there is no such thing as too much filtration and IMO a mix of those 3 on a big tank is best. On one of my big tanks I have 2 ac500 an eheim 2260 and a wet/dry sump. No problems with this setup. If you are short on cash look into building your own wet/dry system.

ogre929

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
England
Just make a big wet dry. I ran a wet dry made out of a 6 gal corallife salt bucket and some bio balls and a rubbermaid tub. cost something like 30 bucks after adding the bio balls. Before i think it was like maybe 8 dollars. But that's not including the pump or the overflow. But you can find cheap overflows on ebay.

here's a link to it
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13131

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
ya i would like to do a wet dry or canaster filter but how would i set the tank up it dosnt have an overflow or any holes drilled. we get alot of power outages out here on base so should i go with a canaster. if so what do i need to but and how does ot run exactly

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Would you like us to educate you on your spelling or just the basics of fish keeping? Sorry I couldn't help myself. You being a soldier and all I would go the canister route. Wet-drys tend to require much more monitoring than a canister. IMO don't get cheap with canister filters. Eheim will cost much more but they are worth it. You say you have experience with HOB filters, (marineland) so why not go with an AC like Friedfish mentioned along with a canister.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
ya its not realy the spelling its i cant time for **** but thanks for the info

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
ya i would like to do a wet dry or canaster filter but how would i set the tank up it dosnt have an overflow or any holes drilled. we get alot of power outages out here on base so should i go with a canaster. if so what do i need to but and how does ot run exactly
Usually I'm a sump filter person, but being that your on base I'd have to agree that maybe a canister is the way to go? They are pretty simple in operation, a hose from the tank goes into the canister, another hose from the canister back into the tank. The canister is full of filter media and has its own pump. Simple :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store