I need more help with my nile monitor. . .

IlovemypetMonitor20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2019
I have no experience baiting out lizards, but I used peanut butter to lure out a chipmunk that refused to come out from under a bathroom cabinet.

Though it sounds like your monitor doesn’t have the same drive for food to make luring a very reasonable option.

Can you use something like a stick or wire to coax it out?

Any reason you don’t want to remove the cabinet?
maybe the hole in the cabinet is pretty deep so maybe a harmless trap could work and the reason why i dont want to take out the cabinet is bc its near my sink so it might go into plumbing issues and would cost alot to fix srry

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
Have you tried putting some food on the floor at night and observe behind a cover all night to see if it came out?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Things you could do to "bait" the lizard out. Food- of coarse this doesnt always work with reptiles as they are stubborn. Heat is a good lure. Set up a basking spot that is a trap. It will have to be warmer then where she is. Maybe you can drop the temp in the house by say 10 degrees. This can also fail as the lizard gets colder it could just decide to not move at all. This is the problem with reptiles. They dont think like us and it's hard to motivate them to do what you want. I had a Timor monitor that always wanted to bite. She tore a strip off my finger and ate it one time. So to train her not to bite I wore rubber gloves, she would bite the gloves and they must have tasted terrible because she stopped biting. I then would just wear one glove Jackson style. She was still not biting. I alternated picking her up with the gloved hand and not gloved hand and it was good. After months of doing this and her not biting or freaking out I took the glove off. Do you know what I got for all that hard work and "training"? Yup you guessed it bit and a new strip of flesh missing. I had a 3.5' Savannah that I could feed live food to and then pick up and cuddle on the couch with. The Argus and Timor monitors were jerks. The black rough neck was also friendly.
But they all had one thing in common..... reptile brain.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
maybe the hole in the cabinet is pretty deep so maybe a harmless trap could work and the reason why i dont want to take out the cabinet is bc its near my sink so it might go into plumbing issues and would cost alot to fix srry
Any way you can post a picture of the cabinet? We might be able to help a bit better seeing what you are dealing with.

I think a lot of sink/counter/cabinets are open backed, but that’s just the ones I’ve had I guess.
Taking the whole thing away from the wall shouldn’t be necessary though.
For example: the place my chipmunk crawled into was at the bottom of the cabinet. There was a board across the front under the overhang were the bottom shelf sat. For some reason the board had a 3/4 gap at the top. Now, if the chipmunk didn’t come out on its own we were going to remove that board. It would just need to be done carefully so it wouldn’t get damaged and could be replaced.
No need to remove the entire 6’ long cabinet with the sink and all. That would have been a nightmare.

I do think twentyleagues twentyleagues idea of using heat is worth trying before anything more drastic.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
I had to break the wall 3 feet up to get my 6 foot nile out one I time so I feel your pain lol but anyways one if my savannas he was 3 foot got his arm stuck to his side and stuck in a glue trap and I had to use vegetable oil to get him off you just let it soak a few second and it comes right off do not try to pull him off. You could try a small glue trap just while your up and can check on it every 15 - 30 mins do not just leave it out.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Oh and one more thing take a hole punch and tie the glue trap off so he can't drag it back under the cabinet.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Omg I didnt even see that lol sorry

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
thinking it died, while they can go a long time with out eating they can not go along time with out a good heat source. there food rots in there gut, killing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store