I swear if its not one thing after another...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The problem I have with raising the water temp too much, is when the young ick burst off the spot, that hole where they were reproducing on the fish, is prime real estate for bacteria to infect (especially when the fish is stressed), and pathogenic bacteria love warmer temps, so secondary infection that can possibly follow, is often harder to treat than ick itself.

Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
The problem I have with raising the water temp too much, is when the young ick burst off the spot, that hole where they were reproducing on the fish, is prime real estate for bacteria to infect (especially when the fish is stressed), and pathogenic bacteria love warmer temps, so secondary infection that can possibly follow, is often harder to treat than ick itself.
FINWIN FINWIN has Stress Coat that provides a slime coating to help prevent opportunistic organisms from entering wounds, now might be a good time to use it, if she hasn't already. I will contact her.
I believe guppy wrote about this and said not to raise temp.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I will make a note of that. Patch has shown improvement since last night and had her second treatment this evening. Should I come down from the 86?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
All, Patch is definitely improving and has less spots. The slime running off her is gone. She swims some and has her fins open more. Thanks for the info on the stress coat, I will add that tonight. Her w/c and treatments are at 6pm. I will reduce the temp to 84 also. I will ease it down to 82 later tonight.

Last edited:

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I had to deal with ich on three peacock bass I bought last year. It started the same way you described. One day I didn’t notice anything, then the next day they were covered. Luckily, they were small and I still had them in a 29 bare bottom quarantine tank. I did daily water changes while vacuuming the bottom of the tank each night, raised the water temp to 89, and added one cup of API aquarium salt per five gallons when doing water changes. The ich got worse before it got better, but it cleared up in a few days. I still kept up the treatment for a full ten days to make sure the ich was completely gone. Interesting side note, the bass were quarantined with a 5-6” endli bichir and the bichir never had a spec on him throughout the whole ordeal. Not sure what to make of that. Lol. Unfortunately, while the fish were growing out in the quarantine tank, the bichir ate the smallest bass. The bichir was about 7” and the bass was about 4” at the time.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I had to deal with ich on three peacock bass I bought last year. It started the same way you described. One day I didn’t notice anything, then the next day they were covered. Luckily, they were small and I still had them in a 29 bare bottom quarantine tank. I did daily water changes while vacuuming the bottom of the tank each night, raised the water temp to 89, and added one cup of API aquarium salt per five gallons when doing water changes. The ich got worse before it got better, but it cleared up in a few days. I still kept up the treatment for a full ten days to make sure the ich was completely gone. Interesting side note, the bass were quarantined with a 5-6” endli bichir and the bichir never had a spec on him throughout the whole ordeal. Not sure what to make of that. Lol. Unfortunately, while the fish were growing out in the quarantine tank, the bichir ate the smallest bass. The bichir was about 7” and the bass was about 4” at the time.
Yup, that's exactly how Patch erupted! Although since I'm using ICH-X I followed the recommendation of others here and brought her temps down from 86. Plan to treat her for 2 full weeks to knock this out. She must have been holding a stray cyst. The ICH-X made her slime coat hang off her body the first night :crazy: but she is already improving and the goop was gone overnight.

Curious, how long before your bass showed spots in qt? I've got a couple of fish in qt a week and so far, so good.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Yup, that's exactly how Patch erupted! Although since I'm using ICH-X I followed the recommendation of others here and brought her temps down from 86. Plan to treat her for 2 full weeks to knock this out. She must have been holding a stray cyst. The ICH-X made her slime coat hang off her body the first night :crazy: but she is already improving and the goop was gone overnight.

Curious, how long before your bass showed spots in qt? I've got a couple of fish in qt a week and so far, so good.
Mine were wild-caught and began showing ich within a few days or so. It’s a very common occurrence with peacock bass though. I pretty much expected it to happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store