I think my Red Texas and Red Devil may be trying to breed.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana

These two have sectioned themselves off in the corner of their growout, and have seemed to prep it for eggs. They have definitely paired off with each other and the Red Devil is venting while the Texas has gone murder mode on anyone that enters that corner of the tank. Do you think these two may be trying to breed?

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
xposted to Breeding as well.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Bump for visibility.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
The Texas looks to be full of eggs, and the red devil seems to be clearing a spawning area. Keep us posted.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
The Texas looks to be full of eggs, and the red devil seems to be clearing a spawning area. Keep us posted.

So you think it's the Texas that is the egg layer? We were thinking it was the Red Devil that was laying the eggs. Most have turned white (see post in breeding forum) so I think this batch may be a wash. They are still sectioned off together and we traded the rest of the fish in the tank except for our Lemon Oscar and Green Severum. Since most have turned white, and from what I've read will not hatch, do you think they will keep it up and possibly have a batch of good ones later on down the road? Or do you suspect infertility on one or both parts? I know Red Texas are notoriously infertile. This is why I ask.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store