I think my warmouth and green sunfish are spawning!

MinnowMagnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
California
My warmnouth in my 55 gallon has been kicking up the gavel in one spot in the tank and then the green sunfish comes over and they turn on their sides flare up their gills and circle around each other. I think they are spawning. Here is a video of a green sunfish building a nest, this is exactly what my warmouth was doing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvgUQ3BWrKY

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
lucky you, that sounds like spawning behavior to me. congrats, keep us updated

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Those two are fairly closely related, so viable offspring are a likelehood. Just don't ever let any out, this could turn into a bad scifi movie (says the fisherman to the fishieries scientist- you crossed a What with a What! By god man, are you mad!)
Seriously though, there is a chance of this hybrid occuring naturally, but if it has, I've never heard it. What are you gonna call them? Greenmouth? War Sunfish? Green warmouth? Greenie Meanie? lol!
Congradulations on the potential spawn, please keep us posted wtih info like temp, size of pit, size of both sunfish, number of eggs and hatching rate. KInda makes me wanna try my pumkinseed and bluegill together.

MinnowMagnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
California
It turns out my green sunfish is a male since he is now also building a nest, the only female sunfish in that tank is a 4" bluegill who has not been displaying any spawning or abnormal behavior

Fishcrunch

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2009
Texas
I don't see a warmouth, or did you accidentally put warmouth?

MinnowMagnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
California
Fishcrunch;3956157; said:
I don't see a warmouth, or did you accidentally put warmouth?
Read the whole post, that is not my video. that is someone else's video of green sunfish spawning that i put up as an example of what my fish are doing

Fishcrunch

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2009
Texas
Sorry, thought it said you put a video OF your sunfish spawning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store