IBC marine tank

Mjoy4567

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2018
Hey guys,

I have access to loads of 1000ltr / 240gal IBC's from work and would love to setup a non-display tank from 1 or several with the tops cut off.
I have seen this in action for breeding Cichlids / Aquaponics and the like but cant find anything Marine related. Due to the display nature of Marine is this just something that's not really done or am I just not looking in the right place?. I could use a plastic 44gal drum as a sump/Biological filter but would just like to get some ideas on things that have already been done etc. Its all just food for thought at this stage and have even thought about breeding Oscars in a similar setup?

Cheers.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I guess I don't understand your question. There is no reason you couldn't use one of those tanks for saltwater, but it would have the same draw back as freshwater - you can't see in it (which is why they are common for aquaponics but not really much else).

Reactions: J. H.

Mjoy4567

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2018
Thank you for the reply. I was really after anyone who has done this and was after ideas and inspiration for what the end result would be. I have since seen many coral frag ponds and cichlid breeding examples which have got me thinking.

Cheers

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Thanks! I will try it with acca insurance deals. Your advice is really useful
Since I really haven't purchased / decided the type of filtration i'm using for mine - basically I'm up in the air as well with ideas. I've seen success on them for both aquaponic + breeding projects, smaller scale for crayfish, tilapia, and african cichlids so a small frag farm would be ideal if the environment was stable: indoor & outdoor temps, evaporation + tank levels maintained like a pond would be if outdoor/ or garage placement like mine, & other issues i'll be able to share once i'm up & running. Frags would generally need shallow water so any tote set up would be cool if you had shelves or some kind of way to prop them. They'll grow huge though i bet! For now I'm probably gonna keep it simple with sturgeon or something cold water tolerant. Not koi though unless i find a super sick one or something. Hope it works out though would love to hear about success / ideas.

Mine is -
*275g
*no filter yet
*just oxygen + wave maker for circulation so far
*garage style not planning on using heater unless i have to
*keeping it freshwater
*1st breeding project ever?..so could be fun to try
*basically the plan is to keep it as low maintenance & chill as possible
*wanted to do rock wall or something but that's another project..
*maybe any aquaponics that would be easy for fish tank style indoor pond could start with basil or maybe some cool plants or something

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store