Ich attack help!

kiru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
Hello,

I am very new to the world of fish keeping and taking great interest in it.
Recently I have set up a new 10 gal. tank roughly a month and a half ago with a filter, at first with 4 fishes (2 small Koi, a small goldfish that had a big red head, and a fairly large goldfish). During the first 3 weeks, the big goldfish seems to be bullying the smaller fishes and has killed one of the koi fish and has torn some of the tail and fins of the small goldfish. I seperated the larger goldfish into a seperate tank. And later added another small goldfish, another koi, as well as a small Albino Pleco to the 10 gal. tank. I also started to add some aquarium salt and also some Melafix to the 10 gal. tank to help with the healing for the small goldfish which had his tail and fins torn from the bullying.

About a week ago, I noticed the red headed goldfish had white spots on his tail and fins.. I did not think twice about it being a disease and left it as is thinking it was just normal growth because his tail/fin was healing.. And recently today I realized my other new small goldfish started to have the same symptoms (This was around 2pm in the afternoon). I then looked it up online to my surprise it was an Ich attack :(.. I quickly went to the local pet store in hopes to get some medication for them, and purchased something with Malachite Green as recommended online. I followed the instruction of the dosage. I did not change the temperature of the tank, and I did a 25% water change before I left for the Pet Store as well as a gravel vac during the change. After I dosed the tank with the medication, I added some aquarium salt as well hoping it would be somewhat effective.

After putting the dose into the tank, I started setting up my 60 gal. tank (it was around 6pm now).. And 4 hours later into the set up, my gf noticed the red headed goldfish which his condition has worsened during the past week seems less active and started to float to the surface barely breathing. And then stopped breathing 30mins later.. (I truly blamed myself for not noticing this attack 1 week ago when I first took notice of the white spots..).. I am very upset about the loss of him, as he was one of my gf's favorite fish.

I finished setting up the 60gal. tank with filters and an air pump in place. Conditioned the water with Nutrafin Aqua Plus+, and also added some Nutrafin Cycle. I let the tank sit for about an hour, then removed the unaffected koi's (looked healthy with no white spots) and placed them in the bigger tank. I tried to put the pleco in there as well but when I place him in there he looked dead and was just floating around not moving. I was scared! And quickly put him back to the old tank yet he stay that way (not breathing nor moving) just floating around.. Then 2 mins of being upset he came back! Started to move around again and swam again!.. I was so shocked to see that and happy.

Currently the 10gal. tank is quite cloudy, and is inhabited by the remaining goldfish with the white spot and the pleco. And the 60gal. tank has the 2 Koi fishes. I am currently unsure if I am doing the right thing right now. Should I still try to place the Pleco into the 60gal. tank away from the currently medicating goldfish? Or should I have kept all the fishes in the same tank as I risk infecting the 60gal. tank with the parasite as well now?..

PS : I regret taking so long to notice at how stressed my fishes were in such a small tank for so long, and very upset at my mistake.. I wish to correct this asap before I lose more fishes :(..

kiru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
Sorry for the double post, would like to add,

The 10gal. tank had a piece of driftwood and an artificial glow in the dark plant in it prior to the Red Headed Goldfish's death. I have removed both from the tank, rinsed and let it sat in boiling hot water for a bit before I placed them into the 60gal. tank. All the fishes are roughly 2-3 in. big except one of the Koi fishes is roughly 4in. big. I do weekly water changes of 25%, and currently using an Aqua Clear 30 filter. The temperature currently sits around 66-68F.

The 60gal. tank currently has 4 artificial plant, 1 driftwood, and an ornament. An air pump and also a custom made filter.

I will provide more in depth details of the tank parameters once I purchase a water kit in the afternoon as well as pictures.

ck986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
NJ
It sounds like you have the same problem I had, putting too many fish into a tank at once without having cycled the tank. I lost about half the fish by the time the ich cleared up and the tank had cycled.

kiru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
ck986;4710251; said:
It sounds like you have the same problem I had, putting too many fish into a tank at once without having cycled the tank. I lost about half the fish by the time the ich cleared up and the tank had cycled.
Yes, I guess I'm learning this the hard way :(.. I'm feeling very sorry for the fishes I've made suffer :(..

What can I do with the current fishes that are still present?

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Hike up the temperature, add some aquarium salt, and put ich medication. That always help for me.

kiru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
Just did some test of the water parameters.

10gal. tank (Albino Pleco, and the sick goldfish)
pH = 7.5
Ammonia = 0.0
Nitrite = 3.3
Temperature = 68F

60gal. tank (2 koi fishes)
pH = 7.0
Ammonia = 0.0
Nitrite = 0.1
Temperature = 64F

The nitrite level seems really really high in the 10gal. tank and I'm not sure if I should do a water change during the fish's medication and then redose him and add salt as well.. I am really bummed on what to do with the tank as I'm afraid such high nitrite level is stressing him out even more. Should I leave the tank as is and just continue following the instruction on the Ich medication package? And also, the pleco doesn't seem to be sick, should I place him in the bigger tank along with the koi fishes? Will the pleco be alright if the water was cooler than 68F and the tank is still cycling?

Pangong_ilong

I want one too !
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Fresh Meadow, NY
as studd muffin said, increase your temp to 86, add some salt and your good. Don't worry about your pleco, it'll survive.

kiru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
Should I do a 20% water change first to try and lower the nitrite?

Here are some pics I just took.. sorry about the resolution, taken with a phone.

10gal. tank :

Goldie + Pleco :

Close up of the goldie :

Pleco :

60gal. tank :

The koi fish and filter (a DIY in-tank trickle filter) :

Thanks to all the advices so far, much appreciated!

fishhooked

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
kansas
I agree with studmuffin and anyone else that said the same.

Big water changes once a week. Raise temp 2 to 4 degrees. Dont wanna go past 84. probly less with goldfish. Id say no higher than 80 or 82 depending on what temp you have them at currently. And add in 1 tbs per 5 gallons of aquarium salt. It might be a little less or a little more with goldies, not sure.

Addikted2Cichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2009
Northern Italy
Also it looks like you have a coin in your tank from the first picture, I wouldn't put coins or any pieces of metal in there. Alot of metals can be harmful to fish. Just a suggestion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store