ICH IN 300 GAL

Exnetics

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2018
My clown loaches have been developing white spots on their fins and body but my other fish aren’t showing signs of this. I assume that I have an ich outbreak. Does that mean my whole tank is infected? My tank consists of silver dollars, bichirs, bristlenose pleco, bala sharks, and ropefish. Are the bichirs, ropefish, and pleco okay with salt in the tank and how much of it? What kind of brand of salt should I use and what directions are needed to cure ich?

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I believe the salt should be fine for the fish....raise tank temp to 86-87 degrees....add extra air pumps......add 2-3 Teaspoon per gallon sea salt, aquarium salt or even kosher salt.....pure salt no additives. Should take a week to 10 days.

Exnetics

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2018
After the ich has cured will normal weekly water changes remove the remaining salt in the tank?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fish should be fine with the salt. After treatment the salt will be diluted and removed out with water changes.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have treated 300 gallons for ick.
You will need at least 9lbs of salt to reach a salinity of 3.0 ppt(parts per thousand.
Which is the minimum salinity to kill emerging ick.
If one fish is flashing and has white spots, the entire tank must be treated.
Dormant Ick cysts rest in the substrate, and hatch out, beside on the fish itself, and just because it seems the spots are gone, does not mean it is cured. Some ick attaches to the inner gill membrane, so not always visible.
Aways treat at least two weeks after spots are gone, and replace salt after water changes to keep salinity up.
I use water softener salt ,and it has worked well for me, 50lbs for $5 at a hardware, or garden center.
Since it is made to be potable for human use, its usable for fish.

Reactions: Haasume and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store