Ich medication for snails

chasers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Phoenix
So as you may know I have finally set up my 55 gallon african tank and it has 10 africans in it, 3 pictus cats, and 4 mystery snails and surprise surprise I noticed some white spots on two of my african cichlids this morning so I need to throw somehting in the tank to cure it before it gets out of hand. I know I can't use salt because the snails will die, so what medication is most effective and will not harm the snails.

Thanks

chasers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Phoenix
I don't know why people say that I have done that and all it does is make it worse. I use it in conjunction with salt treatment because it makes the life cycle go faster but warm water hasn't killed the ich. I just need a safe medication to put in the bucket with the snails to treat for ich, while I put salt in the main tank

Thanks

PSU21Reef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
pennsylvania
Personally, I don't think there is an effective way to treat ich in a tank with inverts. I would move the fish into a hospital tank and treat them there and then transfer them back to the main tank. You can even just put an airstone or powerhead and a heater in a rubbermaid container and use that as your hospital tank.

chasers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Phoenix
that is kind of what I was going to do. I want to put the snails in a bucket with a bubler and heater and get them ich free in there. Then treat my main tank with salt to make sure there is no ich, then when both the bucket and tank are ich free I was going to add the snails back in. I just need to know how to make sure the snails will be ich free in 2-3 weeks when I need to add them back to the main tank, which is what I don't know how to do.

PSU21Reef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
pennsylvania
Snails and other inverts cannot get ich. If you remove the fish and treat them in a separate container you will never have to worry about the snails coming in contact with the medication or salt and the ich will die without fish to host. If you add salt to your main tank there is a higher chance of killing your snails as the salt will not evaporate and can only be removed through water changes, so even when you return your snails to the main tank there could be enough salt still in the system to kill them. Medicate a hospital tank, not the main tank imo. It's always safer that way.

PostalPenguin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
Denver CO
My GF just treated her goldfish tank with salt for ich and as I look now I can see about a dozen ramshorn snails roaming the glass. Salt didn't seem to affect them at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store