Ich questions

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I agree, tiger, it's contrary to basically everything I've read as well. I'm simply saying the precedent in the group is certainly there (and very common at that) and the biological mechanisms are effectively already in place. So it isn't outside of the realm of possibility. I guess we'll find out in a few days if it is ich or if it's flukes. If it's a resurgence of flukes, it would explain why malachite did absolutely nothing to treat it!

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Malachite green is effective in treating a variety of external parasites, including fluke. There can be other reasons why MG didn't work for you: One common failure is under dosage. Follow the instructions and put full dosage daily or evey other day as recommended even if symptoms have gone. Holding back can do more harm as any unkilled pathogens can come back with greater vigor. A second common failure is expired medication. I once used a 10 year old MG in my shelf and lost half the fish that could easily be cured if I had known that MG can expire even if it still turned the water green.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
The MG was good, had to buy three new bottles of it. I started with normal dose, then upped it to about 2.5 dose near the end before swapping out to copper. It said however many drops per gallon, I can't remember specifically how many, I definitely gave some very generous drops at first too. Honestly after all the MG and copper I'm shocked my synodontis didn't die, being scaleless and all. He never missed a beat, tough little species.

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
Help!. How do I know my juvenile cichlids have ick? Notice couple white spots on there back fine and a few of them were rubbing against either the sand or clay pots.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here is a photo of a cichlid that came in with a bad case of Ick

Most of the time it starts very subtly
a less severe case below

One other tidbit I find fascinating
In certain desert pools, or other seasonal areas where water temps reach into the 90sF and dry up.
Ick reappears with the reason rains.
It may be that certain individuals go dormant, sit in mud or sand, and exist dry for months, or it may be that other individuals are dried, and carried in by the wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Help!. How do I know my juvenile cichlids have ick? Notice couple white spots on there back fine and a few of them were rubbing against either the sand or clay pots.
Sounds like it has it. Post some pics. Does it looks like the pics that Duanes posted?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store