ICH

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
Hi, I have been recently treating one of my tanks for Ich and all the fish but two Etroplus suratenis have recovered from it. All of the other fish recovered about a week ago but the Ich on the Green Chromide just keeps coming back. Should I remove them temporarily and treat them in a seperate established tank? I am thinking of making them full brackish to see if this Ich problem continues.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
you're trying to keep a brackish fish in freshwater, so if the fish is not doing so well, i think the solution would definitely be to make the tank brackish.

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
They arent always brackish the store I got them in was keeping them in fresh and they appeared to be doing great. I will raise the temperature up a bit before making the brackish switch.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
If you have several small vacant tanks, ive read an article from TFH
about alternative treatment for ICH.

What they do is they transfer the fish from one tank to another every
12 hours for 3 days ( at 84 degrees) .This is done so that the newly hatched ICH would be left to die in the tank and would break the ich cycle.

There is also another modified method but i cant remember what it was. PM me if you want more details.. ill gladly look it up for you.

Wes

sleepyflight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I'm sure I'll get bashed for this because it will sound a bit extreme (temp. wise) I've always raised up the temp to 85-86 and get some salt in there. The hatches also can't survive the high temperatures. Never had a problem taking the temp that high. I have it happen sometimes when I get feeders from this LFS

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
sleepyflight said:
I'm sure I'll get bashed for this because it will sound a bit extreme (temp. wise) I've always raised up the temp to 85-86 and get some salt in there. The hatches also can't survive the high temperatures. Never had a problem taking the temp that high. I have it happen sometimes when I get feeders from this LFS

Thats not extreme. That is actually a good treatment for ICH.
But you might want to avoid feeding feeders regularly because
you might get something worse next time.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
sleepyflight said:
that's what I do with all diseases. my tanks go to 90+ in the summer oftentimes anyway.

Daddyo72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2005
sleepyflight said:

I do the same. Was going to post that fact but you beat me to it.

BTW, how often does he do water changes? I do weekly water changes and ALWAYS add salt after every water change and keep the heat at 82-84 always and I never get ICH. Not yet anyways. I have purchased fish with ich (very cheap) and nursed them back to health.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store