Ich?

Brooke Owens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Okay so, one of my fish has been itching quite frequently. I have thoroughly looked at all the fish and cannot spot any white spots on them. I'm freaking out because, I'm so new to this. However, the other day when vacuuming the gravel this white slimy stuff came out of the substrate? My pleco a couple of days ago also had a clear string hanging on him, I researched and thought he just might be shedding his slime coat. I don't know what I should do? Just to be on the safe side tomorrow I will slowly increase the temp of the tank up to 84. Only one fish is frequently itchy but I'm guessing this is a sign and I shouldn't brush it off. :( this sucks.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Test your water parameters and post those results (ammonia and nitrite at least.) Water quality issues (among other things) can cause flashing (scratching.) Also you just got your fish (this month right?) so disease is a good possibility.

86-87 is the temp you want for ich if you are doing a temp only cure. Add aeration if the fish keep at the surface as the oxygen will be lower at higher temperatures. And if you decide to add medicine, you will almost certainly need to drop the temperature first.

Still, it might not be ich. Maybe post some pics of the fish if you can.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I wouldn't start raising the temp until you're sure one of them as ich.

Brooke Owens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Test your water parameters and post those results (ammonia and nitrite at least.) Water quality issues (among other things) can cause flashing (scratching.) Also you just got your fish (this month right?) so disease is a good possibility.

86-87 is the temp you want for ich if you are doing a temp only cure. Add aeration if the fish keep at the surface as the oxygen will be lower at higher temperatures. And if you decide to add medicine, you will almost certainly need to drop the temperature first.

Still, it might not be ich. Maybe post some pics of the fish if you can.
Okay thanks, will try to post pictures this afternoon!

Brooke Owens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
This is the fish that's been very itchy no indications of Ich though.. sorry, the pictures could be better lol

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5702.JPG

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Hmm tough to say without visible symptoms. The spots from ich aren't the parasite itself, but a slime response to it. It is very common for fish to have ich without symptoms until they are overrun with parasites.

But the stringy stuff leads me to think it's something similar, but different. It might be velvet (Piscinoodinium). Treatment is similar, but idk if heat alone will kill it. It will speed up the life cycle though.

If you're just keeping Africans I'd use salt too. They handle salt treatments very well.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Ad 84 is fine for killing ich, but only if you have faith in your thermometer. A 2 degree difference will render it ineffective, so higher temps like those reported may be a safer bet.

If I recall, 83 is the temp you need. 84 is safer, and what I use. 86 is super safe as long as your fish can handle it.

Salt+heat is a winning combination, and by far the favorite method on this forum. You can also try a product like QuickCure if you want to hit it from 3 angles.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store