Ich?

Jakobythebichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2020
Thank you guys. I've been reading forums and watching videos all day stressing myself out over why I can't get rid of this.

I'm doing a 50% water change tonight, I'll leave the tank at 84. I have Kordon Ich on the way and will probably order the seachem as well. I'm worried at this point if I remove the plants I'll stress the fish out more as the tank is heavily planted (imo). Should I remove my tire track and bichir? They both look healthy and the bichir is active and hasn't shown any adverse affects to the meds so far.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you guys. I've been reading forums and watching videos all day stressing myself out over why I can't get rid of this.

I'm doing a 50% water change tonight, I'll leave the tank at 84. I have Kordon Ich on the way and will probably order the seachem as well. I'm worried at this point if I remove the plants I'll stress the fish out more as the tank is heavily planted (imo). Should I remove my tire track and bichir? They both look healthy and the bichir is active and hasn't shown any adverse affects to the meds so far.
I’d leave the fish in the tank.

Reactions: Jakobythebichir

Jakobythebichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2020
That's what I figured. I haven't had an issue with ich like this in years. I don't know what happened with this tank. Everyone was great last week

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Ick does not get cured over night, or in 3 nights or hardly ever in only 1 week.
Until all ick individuals have completed their life cycle, it is not done.
And while spots are on the fish, those spots are incurable, because they are protected by the fishes own slime coat.
They cannot be killed until the hatch off on their own.
This can take weeks, even over a month, and if you wimp out on the salt dose, even longer.

Reactions: kno4te

Jakobythebichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2020
Yes, I am well versed on the life cycle of ich. I'm just frustrated that after a week of heavy treatment my fish only seem to look worse. I started treating the whole tank and raised the temp as soon as I saw 1 tiny white spec. I was advised to discontinue salt use. I have a tank of assorted cichlids, a senegal bichir and a tire track eel. I only added the salt in a small quantity for the general health of the tank, not really for a cure. I'm not sure what level to dose salt with as it is not a product I typically use on any of our tanks.
I did about a 60% water change and am going to start treating the tank with Kordon Ich tomorrow (once it gets delivered) My blue acara and pair of jacks are looking the most infected. Everyone is eating well, still active. Hopefully they will pull through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store