Ick, salt treatment, and sensitive fish....

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Ok, here's the deal....I had bought some fish a little over a week ago. They must have had ick that was not visible at the time. Well last night I came home did a fish check and 2 had a couple spots on them.:WHOA: I scooped them all up and returned them instantly. I am now worried about my other fish. I have turned up the heat and added salt. I am not sure how much I can safely add. It is a 90 gallon and I put about 12 tablespoons in. The fish in the tank are 2 silver dollars, tiretrack eel, black ghost knife, clown loaches, 2 indo tiger dats, and a couple blood parrots. How much salt can these fish handle/what is the recommended dosage for them? Also, is it at all possible that they didn't contract the ick? As of yet none show any visible signs. Please help.

Thanks

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Anyone?:confused:

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
I used 1 tablespoon per 5g. Obviously, you should have quarantined every new fish you get.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
All of the fish listed can tolerate at treatment levels of up to 2 teaspoons per gallon, that is 60 tablespoons (level) for a 90g. It is possible that the ich did not produce trophonts in your tank but unlikely.

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Lupin;1554679; said:
I used 1 tablespoon per 5g. Obviously, you should have quarantined every new fish you get.
Yes, I made a mistake. I now realize how important that is. I am buying a small extra tank this weekend in case I ever need one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store