ID cichlid

_Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2012
LA
Hi guys, I need help ID'ing this blue cichlid with yellow fins. I have a feeling it's a Pseudotropheus sp. acei. Can someone with more experience confirm this please.

Fish size 6 1/2" - 7"

20210520_092704.jpg

20210520_092711.jpg
20210520_092713.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It looks like Pseudotropheus sp. acei though the face shape looks a bit off. But this can be due to age and too much food. Same goes for the impressive size.
+1
Most likely Acei
Is the face shape possibly due to hybridization with the acei’s color genes being dominant?

_Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2012
LA
It looks like Pseudotropheus sp. acei though the face shape looks a bit off. But this can be due to age and too much food. Same goes for the impressive size.
I had the same feeling. It's an aggressive eater, and enjoys munching on the natural algae that grows on the rocks just like the other mbunas, and synos.
Looks, and acts like a male. I love the colors. I might try to breed it now that I know the species.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
+1
Most likely Acei
Is the face shape possibly due to hybridization with the acei’s color genes being dominant?
On the first look I was also hesitating to call it sp. acei. But there are specimens of sp. acei and their next relatives P. elegans that develop a pointy mouth when they age.

And for me the even stronger clue that it could be a pure acei is the coloring that goes perfectly with acei. All the small details in the coloring of the fins are on point. That is not impossible for a hybrid but would be extremely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store