ID, Florida?

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
nice, ive always wanted one of these... the last time i got a gar it turned out to be a fake gar and didnt make me very happy. But i paid the extra and got what i want... and suggestions with these fish? as for food goes i was going to keep it on the same schedule as my pbass...market shrimp, frozen krill, silversides and mix of tuffies, comets and minnows

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
florida/spotted
definitely not a gator

BIGMONSTER

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Federal Way, WA, D.S.A.
okay first of all most people will never encounter a real alligator gator because as their anme implies they get as big AS AN ALLIGATOR heres a picure for reference

images.jpg

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
BIGMONSTER;1447760; said:
okay first of all most people will never encounter a real alligator gator because as their anme implies they get as big AS AN ALLIGATOR heres a picure for reference
that pic is of not a gator
and gator gars are available with out much trouble
at least where i live

BIGMONSTER

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Federal Way, WA, D.S.A.
okay type in alligator gar in to google i know this because i almost planned a trip around fishing them

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
it's either a spotted/florida gar, almost impossible to tell the difference and it probably doesn't matter to you eitherways.

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
ok now taht we have that nailed down on what type it is, is there any kepping gar specfic things i should know? water temp, gravel, plants, food anything at all to help this little guy grow faster so he wont be picked on by the bass haha

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
water temp for optimal growth/health would be around 27-28degC. gravel doesn't to much to the growth of the gar, but darker gravel gives them more contrast in their colours. food wise gars are not that picky. but i'll steer clear of goldfish feeders, for they're rich in fat and have backbones, along with a vitamin B destroying enzyme.

as for plants, how big is the gar? and what size tank is he held in?
--a final note, gars do not generally do well with bass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store