ID for honda12

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
Honda12 said:
The lithobates have three spots or bloches on the side of their body when stressed or in the juvie stage or when it is a female. Scroll down on this site to see what I mean.
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other/otopharynx_lithobates.htm

Protomelas sp. have more of a stripe pattern which you can see a little bit in the pictures that you posted.

Also from the better picture I can see that your fish has more of a rounded head like a protomelas sp. unlike the otopharanx that has a more pointed head.

Hope this clears it up for you.
ah man. this is so difficult. well i know it's one of the two. now that you bring up the spots, it makes it even harder. i'll try to catch some pics of spots if he ever displays them. thanks for your help honda12.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I know for a fact that you don't have an otopharanx lithobates. Yours doesn't have the 3 spots on the side of the body. Also they tend to have more of pointed head and mouth.

What you have is, I'm pretty sure is a Protomelas spilonotus (mara rocks). These fish in the juvenile stage and as a female have one horizontal line and many verticals lines that tend to stay faint and aren't very defined.

If you look at the pictures you provided of your fish you can see both they horizontal and vertical lines faintly. Just take a close look at your fish and then at the cichlid forum profile and scroll down and look at the rest of the pictures too and you can see the lines on your fish and theirs. Also the shape of the head and mouth matches that of a protomelas species not the lithobates.

If you had a lithobates you would see faint spots or bloches instead of the lines. So that is why I would go with the Protomelas spilonotus. That is what your fish matches the most. I even went through some of my cichlid books and came to the same conclusion.

I hope this clears it up for you on what fish you have.

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
Honda12 you are definitely wrong with you prediction. This fish is a lithobates as previously stated. The three spots are evident in the female and will only show if the fish is stressed. The body of the lithobates is a lot slimmer than that of the Protomelas. Definitely not the fish you seem to think it is as it has a definite sulphur/yellow colouring on top.
:naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
How could his fish be a otopharanx lithobates when his fish clearly doesn't have any spots.

His fish has the horizontal and vertical lines of the Protomelas spilonotus (Mara rocks) it is also refered to as a Protomelas sulfer head.

Also whenever you get a fish from a pet store in most cases the are skinny. It's only till they are purchased and properly taken care of when they fill out. His fish right now is still skinny but once it fills out it will totaly look like a protomelas.

Lithobates are skinny yes, but they stay that way unless they are really over fed. His fish will fill out sooner or later and it will make it more evident of what he has.

I still believe he has a Protomelas spilonotus and I am going to stick with that. It makes the most sense and compares closer to one of them than a lithobates.

It is possible also with all the conflicting evidence that it could be a mix of a lithobates or protomelas.

Just my 2 cents.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Scotty said:
Honda12 you are definitely wrong with you prediction. This fish is a lithobates as previously stated. The three spots are evident in the female and will only show if the fish is stressed. The body of the lithobates is a lot slimmer than that of the Protomelas. Definitely not the fish you seem to think it is as it has a definite sulphur/yellow colouring on top.
:naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

Males, as well as females, show the 3 spots.
When out of full breeding dress they're visible, when stressed they're obvious. In full breeding dress is the time you *might* not see the 3 spots on O. lithobates.
Honda is not "predicting" anything. His opinions are educated, based on facts and knowledge.

rickson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
ashdod-israel
photos.walla.co.il
looks like a venustus hybrid with fryeri.
any way the fish dosnt looke a pure clean fish

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I didn't relize that you got this fish from Petco. Must have missed it on the oringinal post. I hate to say it but if you got it from a place like that then you probably have a hybrid on your hands. Petco's and Petsmart's aren't a very trustworthy place to get malawi cichlids cause they sell hybrids a lot.

Either way it is a nice looking fish. Just don't breed it ever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store