ID in unusal doradide.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Found this guy in a sump tank around 8" someone had brought him in. At first I though it was a bacu. It appears not to be. Almost a light marble colouration to it a lot like the Wels catfish pattern.

I also found some harlequin lancers around 4" for 16.99 each! Bargain.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: koltsixx and moe214

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Pteradoras granulosus?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Pteradoras granulosus?
Bacu is another name commonly used for granulosus.

Found this guy in a sump tank around 8" someone had brought him in. At first I though it was a bacu. It appears not to be. Almost a light marble colouration to it a lot like the Wels catfish pattern.

I also found some harlequin lancers around 4" for 16.99 each! Bargain.
It's really hard to see the fish in the pics and vid but I'll render a best guess anyways. Based on what I can see though I'm pretty sure you're right it's not a Bacu. Small eyes, more streamlined body and the coloration you're describing makes me think it maybe Rhinodoras dorbignyi.
Planetcatfish profile: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=1504

If it is they're great fish if you can get them to come out. At least that's been my experience with them and I've only kept them once or twice and not for long. Never got them off of live which is another reason I rehomed them but they can be stunning IMHO. Mine where also juvies around 4 inches so maybe your experience will be different.

As for the Lancers, I'm jealous. One of my favorite cats and I always miss them when they're available. And they're usually around $70 when I do see them so you got a steal IMO.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

As for the Lancers, I'm jealous. One of my favorite cats and I always miss them when they're available. And they're usually around $70 when I do see them so you got a steal IMO.
I have never heard of the term bacu...thanks for the correction,and agreed on the lancer.Great price,certainly much less than what I paid for mine.

Reactions: koltsixx

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016

It's really hard to see the fish in the pics and vid but I'll render a best guess anyways. Based on what I can see though I'm pretty sure you're right it's not a Bacu. Small eyes, more streamlined body and the coloration you're describing makes me think it maybe Rhinodoras dorbignyi.
Planetcatfish profile: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=1504

If it is they're great fish if you can get them to come out. At least that's been my experience with them and I've only kept them once or twice and not for long. Never got them off of live which is another reason I rehomed them but they can be stunning IMHO. Mine where also juvies around 4 inches so maybe your experience will be different.

I'll have to fetch him out later and get some decent pictures.

Your close with the Id, but it's not that fish. Much longer in the body. Not as deep aswell.

Thanks for the input aswell. I'll be intreasted to see what it is.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter might be able to assist, he's a plantcatfish guru. koltsixx koltsixx seems to be more versed in doradids than most anyone else.

Reactions: koltsixx and Rpul

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree with its great, remarkable closeness to Pterodoras granulosus and I agree that it is not it. Very likely it is a Pterodoras.

Most obviously to me, granulosus has far, far more aggressive scutes along its flanks, bigger, longer, with sharp hooks. This guy's armor is much more subtle and blunt.

The body shape and the eyes also point away from a granulosus.

That's all I can say without looking carefully through known doradiids or known Pterodoras species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store