I'd like to point out...

GoldfishCrazy11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
USA
I've read that since arowanas are so prized and so rare in the wild, that the ones you buy from the fish store have special microchips (just like the dog ones) inplanted underneath one of their scales. When you breed them, there is a percentage that your are supposedly supposed to release back into the wild- but all of the littles ones are supposed to have the microchips inplanted.

I read this in AFM (Aquarium Fish Magazine). I've also heard of this around the Internet. Just wanted to let you all know!

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
It is true for Scleropages Formosus or the asian arowana .Silvers are commercially bred in asia and other parts of the world so if you see one at your local lfs its most probably farm bred.

Blacks are also wild caught.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
And, the hobbyist does not fall under the replenishment stipulation to the CITES regulation. That onus falls to the commercial breeding farms that obtained their initial broodstock from the wild.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
redtailfool said:
It is true for Scleropages Formosus or the asian arowana .Silvers are commercially bred in asia and other parts of the world so if you see one at your local lfs its most probably farm bred.

Blacks are also wild caught.
i thikn if silvers and black where as endangered as asians they would be micro chiped too no?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
redtailfool said:
The asian aro farms never do any restocking in the wild btw.
Hence the reasoning behind the sanctions still imposed. If the breeding farms did restock wild populations, the population estimates would have changed in the last 10 years. No change to the assumed numbers (and no field counts being performed) results in no reason to revamp the existing regulations that would free up trade legality in asian aros.

zipperfish45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2005
ok, usa
I had no idea that asian aros were so rare.... just thought the were expensive, i'll be damned! Very beatiful fish though. Getting my first aro next week so wish me luck

mcblack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
singapore
asian aros are regulated by cites, its illegal to get from the wild, the asian aro being sold are farmed breed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store