ID Me Please, considering a purchase...

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Necros was nearing 3'. Fact is none of these fish have been raised to Full maturity in an aquarium and those in the farms are butchered much earlier for their meat, so we do not Know their Max. Potential. 5' is a Bit much though.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, Wed! Yeah I remember Rich's saga with 19 huge cats and a Washington state to Ohio trip. I didn't know these were from Ted though. It was not mentioned in Rich's thread in "General Aquaria Discussion". Since you know the family personally, you'd know, I am sure :)

I've exchanged emails with Ted, last time ~4 years ago. I wonder why he unloaded the fish (Rich stated he responded to a CL ad and the fish were kept in rather poor conditions - does not sound like Ted).

That's an instant classic with the bass :D :D

Anyhoo, yeah, 3.5' is about the biggest I've heard. Do you know what's the biggest Arapaimag has / had?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Necros was nearing 3'. Fact is none of these fish have been raised to Full maturity in an aquarium and those in the farms are butchered much earlier for their meat, so we do not Know their Max. Potential. 5' is a Bit much though.
Right. I believe 5' as a potential, perhaps near record (should be very long-lived too) but until proven remains a conjecture.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks, Wed! Yeah I remember Rich's saga with 19 huge cats and a Washington state to Ohio trip. I didn't know these were from Ted though. It was not mentioned in Rich's thread in "General Aquaria Discussion". Since you know the family personally, you'd know, I am sure :)

I've exchanged emails with Ted, last time ~4 years ago. I wonder why he unloaded the fish (Rich stated he responded to a CL ad and the fish were kept in rather poor conditions - does not sound like Ted).

That's an instant classic with the bass :D :D

Anyhoo, yeah, 3.5' is about the biggest I've heard. Do you know what's the biggest Arapaimag has / had?
Teds 8k gallon broke and he was keeping the fish in a couple stock type ponds, he moved as many as he could into other homes on short notice. Im not sure y or which end of the transaction did not want people to know where they came from but i have no problem sharing as im just a third party lol and this was yrs ago now... if u think about it....what are the odds someone else in washington other than Ted just happened to have 19 40"+ cats sittin around lol... as for Arapaimag im not certain, id guess if he has any there up there due to his amazingly large accomidations.

For the bass transaction, i was still a young buck at the time and it taught me a valuble lesson... ive been "underestimating" my specimen sizes just to be safe ever since lol... even tho fish may look 3-4' to the human eye. They very very rarely ever are when pulled out and measured. 24" fish often look 3' but in reality thats a huge difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... if u think about it....what are the odds someone else in washington other than Ted just happened to have 19 40"+ cats sittin around lol...
This crossed my mind when I was reading, yes :)

... For the bass transaction, i was still a young buck at the time and it taught me a valuble lesson... ive been "underestimating" my specimen sizes just to be safe ever since lol... even tho fish may look 3-4' to the human eye. They very very rarely ever are when pulled out and measured. 24" fish often look 3' but in reality thats a huge difference.
You are saying fish look bigger when in the tank. I've been through a few threads where people adamantly (and in agreement with each other) profess that every time they pull a fish out, it measures notably bigger than it looked in their tank.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
This crossed my mind when I was reading, yes :)

You are saying fish look bigger when in the tank. I've been through a few threads where people adamantly (and in agreement with each other) profess that every time they pull a fish out, it measures notably bigger than it looked in their tank.
Maybe im just crazy or my vision is altered from my younger yrs lol...but more often than not im humbled when i pull a fish out or get an accurate measurement on the glass and the fish are smaller than i expected. Sure, ive pulled some out that were bigger than estimated but not very often. Everything looks bigger in a transport tub than tank, how many people actually measure correctly tho. Its easy to throw the tape out and add on a few inches just the same lol
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store