ID of Cichla

nid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2006
Singapore
Brokopondos which are Occels have this additional bars as juvi too. It could still be a Occel.

darboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Philippines
Still not sure what they are jack but i know they are special. Fatten them up first so we can see their normal shape. Nice cichlas i would steal them from you if i could.

nid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2006
Singapore
you mean they are mix breed of Occel ?
I mean it could still be from the Occel family. It doesn't mean anything concrete. I dun think anyone can confirm what you have until they reach adulthood.

ingrda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
London, UK
Brokopondos which are Occels have this additional bars as juvi too. It could still be a Occel.
I haven't seen any that do though that isn't to say its not possible.

broko.jpg

nid said:
I mean it could still be from the Occel family.
C. ocellaris are a species not a 'family', brokopondo for example is a locality of the species.

broko.jpg

nid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2006
Singapore
I haven't seen any that do though that isn't to say its not possible.

C. ocellaris are a species not a 'family', brokopondo for example is a locality of the species.
My old broko

"Family" is just a casual term i threw out, I dun think we need to grammar nazi this do we?

ingrda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
London, UK
My old broko

"Family" is just a casual term i threw out, I dun think we need to grammar nazi this do we?
The thing is you said
Brokopondos ..... have this additional bars as juvi
That implies all juvie brokos have additional bars. That is certainly not true, regardless if yours did. Anyway, your right, we won't be able to ID 100% the OP's cichla until they are adults.

we need to grammar nazi this do we
:chillpill: Using casual terms only confuses newbies IMO ,but that's for you to decide.

nid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2006
Singapore
The thing is you said

That implies all juvie brokos have additional bars. That is certainly not true, regardless if yours did. Anyway, your right, we won't be able to ID 100% the OP's cichla until they are adults.

:chillpill: Using casual terms only confuses newbies IMO ,but that's for you to decide.
In my country, there have been only a couple of batches of Brokos that came in, they are rare in sg and of those batches, they all have this additional lines (Jeff Rapps, Oliver). But there were a few batches that were brought in from taiwan initially labeled as "Galaxy Monos" before the LFS realised they were easier to sell as Brokos.. This example can be found above my broko in the first picture. While subtle, I did notice a difference between the 2. As such, I nv considered a broko as a broko if I didn't see the lines when they are Juvi. My mistake, they could very well be brokos collected at different areas of the reservoir or some other reason like that.

Well as for confusing newbies, I didn't know being casual on a forum would lead to such confusion. I guess it's like how English Man Utd fans see the term "Man U" as derogatory and anyone who uses that term ain't fans even through big nos of us Asians use it because it's shorter. Haha.
I didn't even know OP was a newbie to fish keeping or PBs. I guess you know better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store