ID please

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are 16 valid species of Cichla, in S America and some are restricted to quite small localities.
It might help narrow things down by knowing catch location, if caught in SA.
Otherwise the distinctions could be as small as number of spots (or the lack thereof) on the anal fin, or count of bars below the dorsal.
If "not" caught in SA but some other spot where feral Cichla are common (Florida, Panama, etc etc) the possibility of a hybrid is always there.

favian13

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
Temensis have different gradings. Grade 1 is covered in spots, while grade 4 has no spots at all. Grade 2 and 3 are in the middle with 2 having more spots than 3 but less spots than 1.

It is just a spectrum of how many spots a temensis has.
There is no such thing. Now if you are talking about location they may differ in color, spotting, etc. ok thats like saying a monoculus that has 2 bars is a grade 4 and a monoculus with 3 bars is grade 1??

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
That is the stage of growth not grade like azul's,and kels change as they grow
I have to disagree. It represents different localities of temensis. Isolated groups develop different traits. We just grade them in the hobby to show the level of spots.?

favian13

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
I have to disagree. It represents different localities of temensis. Isolated groups develop different traits. We just grade them in the hobby to show the level of spots.?
I agree about the locality but still never heard of grades and what about the one's from Venezuela they have the most spangling if im not mistaken ?

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
I agree about the locality but still never heard of grades and what about the one's from Venezuela they have the most spangling if im not mistaken ?
The grading is super confusing. Like I said, I am no Cichla expert. I just heard it being thrown around sometimes.
Here is a site about the grading: https://www.researchgate.net/figure...sed-to-group-live-specimens-in_fig1_267752121
I don't know if this site is creditable though, but the information seems helpful.

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun
It's definitely C. Temensis in spawning colors, locals refer to this phase as "açú" ("paca" is the non-spawning colors we see more commonly). I personally have never seen Temensis in breeding colors in a hobbyist setting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store